Solved

data restore stuck due to no password from an old commserve

• 12 August 2021
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +8

we are helping a customer restore data from their old commserve envrioment; we had a VM level backup for the commserve; we restored it the services are working; however the credentials supplied by the customer is not working.  Is there a way around it?'

commvault sevrices appear to be working okay (looked at the Simpana services console; everything is showing as running)

Also, is there a log file that I can check what’s going on.  SQL is installed on the same VM.  Also, becuase this was a old commvault system and required to be stood up to look for historical data; can we raise it with support team 

icon

Best answer by Theseeker 12 August 2021, 05:49

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Hi @Theseeker,

I’d recommend raising a support ticket here as providing login credentials for any customer is going to require some approvals.
The Commcell ID may be outside of support however if there if the customer still has a valid CommCell approval to raise the ticket should be possible.

Cheers,
Jase

Userlevel 2
Badge +8

finally it got sorted; customer was able to login to commcell database via the SQL instance and found a user listed which worked….they do not have a tape library; so restored Commserve; setting up an MA and connecting the tape library….the funny thing is the Commsrve was a VM and it had happened few years back and I had requested them to add this VM to the backup...never received any confirmation...and I still went ahead and added the old VM in the backup...which we used this time as the orignal  Commserve VM had been deleted….  

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Good news @Theseeker 

Be cautious protecting the Commserve VM via VSA backups, as it does quiesce the guest OS (if application consistent) which can cause jobs to behave ‘interestingly’.

A previous engagement has a Commserve protected via:

1. Native SQL Dumps which got protected by File System backup.
  2. Virtual Server backups using VSA iDA.
  3. SQL Server Backups using SQL iDA.
  4. DR Backup (as we usually expect).

Customer was reporting jobs going into pending state at around the same time every single day. :D

Cheers,
Jase

Userlevel 2
Badge +8

it was customer’s old commserve envrioment; it was swuitched off; just to recover from previous envrioment; they moved from inhouse to MSP