Solved

DDB Backup frequency

• 19 January 2023
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +10

From here: Deduplication Best Practices (commvault.com)

I’m seeing from this link its “best practice” if you have a DDB of around 100-200 TB to do a full backup “1 tie per week” and do incremental backups daily.  I would assume this is the case for a smaller DDB as well.

My system currently has 5 DDBs (all multiple partitions) where 3 of them are ~40 TB, and the two large ones are ~350TB each.   We have a schedule to do a Full DDB backup “Daily” of all of them, and it appears to be the built in “System Created for DDB Clients” schedule.

Is “taking Full DDB Backups daily” of this size “excessive” or “not really needed”?  I wasn’t aware you can schedule incremental DDB backups and wasn’t sure if this is something you can just add into an existing schedule. “Full daily” is just the schedule we have had for a long time.

I bring this up because it seems we have had issues with the DDB backups (some of them), running for 15+ hours, and it appears its slowing everything else down quite a bit when they run.

icon

Best answer by Collin Harper 19 January 2023, 17:11

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Hello @tigger2 

To clarify, we only run Full DDB backups. There are no incremental DDB backups. It is best to run one daily as the more recent the DDB backup, the less downtime occurs if a reconstruction is needed.

If there are performance issues with the DDB backup it would be best to get a case opened with Support to investigate where the bottleneck is coming from.

Thank you,

Collin

Userlevel 2
Badge +11

Hello @tigger2 

To clarify, we only run Full DDB backups. There are no incremental DDB backups. It is best to run one daily as the more recent the DDB backup, the less downtime occurs if a reconstruction is needed.

If there are performance issues with the DDB backup it would be best to get a case opened with Support to investigate where the bottleneck is coming from.

Thank you,

Collin

Hello Collin,

I was checking the docs and saw a reference where the system created ddb backup schedule would run every 8 hours. But in my newly installed environment, it was created to run every 24 hours. Does this recommendation of 8hours changed?

Regards,

Pedro