Solved

DDB hosts on Raid5 make up of SSDs and can run IOMeter on raid ?

• 3 November 2022
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

Hello team

DDB hosts on Raid5 make up of SSD and observed DDB Q&I reach to 102%

Questions:

#1 Can we still run the iometer on the RAID...right?

#2 CV doc stating ‘Recommend dedicated RAID 1 or RAID 10 group.’ and should we follow this to reconfig raid that use for hosting DDB:

https://documentation.commvault.com/2022e/expert/111985_hardware_specifications_for_deduplication_mode_01.html

icon

Best answer by Mike Struening RETIRED 3 November 2022, 17:55

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hi @DanC , RAID 5 offers no mirroring which is why we recommend 1 or 10, plus the write performance on RAID 5 is is poor.

For any backup job, you’ll be writing to the DDB.  Reading is only done during aging.

I’m not aware that you can’t run IOMeter on RAID5, though the above should be considered for overall recommendations.

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

@Mike Struening  thank you

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

@DanC as @Mike Struening already shared you can run IOMeter without any issue but to be able to measure it correctly I would advise to run it when there is no job activity. I would definitely recommend to change the current setup and would strongly advise, in case this is possible, to replace it with NVMe based flash storage which will drastically reduce the latency even further and speedup backup traffic in case you currently run into IO-wait issues. For your knowledge RAID10 gives a write penalty of 2 while RAID5 gives a penalty of 4! 

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

@Onno van den Berg  thank you very much