Solved

Debian support for MediaAgent

• 20 October 2021
  • 11 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

Hi,

A customer is using Debian as their Linux distribution choice. We are planning for Linux MediaAgents, so it’s natural that customer wants it on Debian, however looking at BOL

https://documentation.commvault.com/11.24/expert/2822_mediaagent_system_requirements.html

There is only one version of Debian listed as supported platform for MediaAgent installation. To make it worse it is Debian 9.x which is pretty old already and currently partially, but soon to be completely EOS

https://www.debian.org/releases/stretch/

Is it just a oversight in BOL?

Are newer versions on Debian like v10.x and 11.x supported as MediaAgent platforms?

If anyone could share some information that would be great.

icon

Best answer by Mike Struening RETIRED 9 November 2021, 16:40

View original

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Good question…..let me reach out to our docs team to find out!

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

Hi @Mike Struening 

I’m waiting for your feedback. Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Still waiting for word back.  I’ve been able to find the person who actually updates that link, so we’re in good hands!

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

Hi @Mike Struening 

Have you got any word back yet?

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

I heard back from the right folks; they are going to verify compatibility and update me in the next 2 weeks.

This way, you have a verified answer.

I’ll update this once I hear back!

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

Hi @Mike Struening 

I was just wondering if you already got un update from the right folks.

Let me know!

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Let me follow up.  they asked for 15 days to test, so that’s tomorrow...but I can follow up now :nerd:

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Ask and ye shall receive!

Direct from dev:

We do support Debian 10.x and 11.x (FR 20+) with the following conditions:

1. Debian 10 should have libglib2.0
    1. apt-get install libglib2.0-dev
  2. in case DataServer - IP is used where the mount path is present on Debian and it is shared by any other MA, then the shell for the file /opt/commvault/Base/3dnfsd should be changed from sh to bash in Debian
    1. cd /opt/commvault/Base
    2. sed -i.orig '0,/sh/s//bash/' 3dnfsd
Userlevel 4
Badge +13

Oh I was hesitating to ask since yesterday. If I would knew that the answer is just sitting there I wouldn’t!

Anyway, this is great news! I will use that knowledge for sure.

Last but not least thing to do is to update the docs, so other folks wouldn’t have to search through community to know that too. If only I knew someone from doc team I would surely asked them to update :wink:

Thanks @Mike Struening !

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

No need to hesitate!  If anything, the hesitation was on me. I’m here for you, so feel free to ask for updates, send me reminders, etc.!

Dev asked for 15 days to test, so I asked them today (I also realize they had replied on the 25th, so today is day 15).

I only got a response from them minutes before I posted the answer :joy:

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Moved FREL question to its own thread for better tracking: