Thanks !

icon

Best answer by Stuart Painter 13 January 2022, 12:16

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Hi @Bloopa 

Deleting jobs or backups isn’t something we would typically recommend!

Usually the best way is to configure appropriate retention settings according to business needs and allow the jobs to age as expected.

Removing a client from schedules is different, there’s a few different things to consider depending what you’re trying to achieve.

If the client is getting decommissioned, you have a couple of options:

• Disable backup activity for the client or subclients
  • Release the license for the client

Both these actions will prevent any further jobs from being run, but will preserve backup job history.

If you wish to retain the client and leave everything enabled, but simply remove from schedules you can remove the client association from the schedules:

• Edit schedule, Associations, uncheck the client
  • Right click client or subclient, View - Schedules, then edit corresponding schedule and remove associations as above

Thanks,

Stuart

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

There is a way to gracefully retire clients as well: https://documentation.commvault.com/11.24/expert/102030_retiring_client.html

Userlevel 2
Badge +11

@Stuart Painter quick question during the case. Where I can find job history form delete client. 

I will be very appreciate for help 

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

@Stuart Painter quick question during the case. Where I can find job history form delete client. 

I will be very appreciate for help 

Hi @kszaf 

If you have released the license, disabled activity or dis-associated schedules from a client, then you can view backup history normal - the client will still exist in the Commcell, but may show a different status icon depending on what action has been taken.

However, if you have deleted the client, then all backup jobs associated to that client are immediately deleted, so not only is there no way to view job history, the jobs and data from deleted clients no longer exist.

The only caveat is if you have jobs written to tape and the tapes have not yet been overwritten, you may be able to recover aged data from tapes:

Recovering Aged Data - Overview

Recovering Data Associated with Deleted Clients and Storage Policies

Thanks,

Stuart