Solved

Does kubernetes work in commvault when using rancher?

• 28 July 2022
  • 5 replies

Badge +1

Hi,

We recently had a customer who tried to connect kubernetes with commvault while using rancher.

Everything was configurated and implemented correctly, but the authentication of the account used failed and we cannot seem to find why.

We double checked the permissions, groups and authentication token of the user. Everything should be working.

What could cause this problem?

icon

Best answer by MFasulo 18 August 2022, 19:12

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@Andrew Kooijman , I’ll see if I can find anything and tag in @Mathew Ericson who is our K8s master.

Is there any error message displayed anywhere?  If you can share a screenshot and the text I can better search internally.

Thanks!

Badge +1

Hi Mike,

I cannot share the screenshot since it contains private info, but the error messages are basically:

• add cluster failed. Validate VS credentials failed

It then suggest that we check if the username+password are correct (which they are). All the access connections are in working order too.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Appreciate that!  the error is enough to go on.

I checked the cases we have resolved with this error, and pretty much every single one is fixed by recreating the account.  No RCA, but this fixed the issue.

Here’s the full resolution on one of the cases with some extra context:

customer created new account which has cluster role binding correctly setup and verify firewall requirements as well.

Network and Firewall Requirements for Kubernetes Access Nodes

https://documentation.commvault.com/11.24/essential/145132_network_and_firewall_requirements_for_kubernetes_access_nodes.html

Firewall

The Commvault software requires a Layer 3 network connection between the access node and the Kubernetes API server endpoint on port 443 (or equivalent TLS-SSL port in the /etc/kubernetes/admin.conf file on the admin server). External Connectivity The Commvault software requires access to the Docker Hub (https://hub.docker.com) to perform backup and restore operations. To enable backups and restores of air-gapped Kubernetes clusters, see Enabling Backups and Restores of Air-Gapped Clusters for Kubernetes.

Let me know if that helps while we wait for Australian morning for Mathew!

Badge +1

Thank you for your quick reply Mike. 

I will update you on your answer as soon as our customer has implemented this!

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Open ~/.kube/config and make sure you are using the proper endpoint.