Solved

Domain Controller Full System Recovery in isolated test environment

• 29 August 2022
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

Hi all,

Our customer wants to perform a test Full System recovery of a physical Domain Controller in a fully isolated environment. We we are thinking about the following setup:

• Add an extra MediaAgent VM to the environment with a small local Disk Library (without Dedupe)
  • AuxCopy the latest Full File System backup of the Domain Controller to that new MA/Disk Library
  • Clone the CommServe VM and MediaAgent VM into the isolated environment
  • Perform a Full System Recovery of the Domain Controller (onto a VM)

Now, my main concern here is Indexing V2 which is used. With Indexing V1, the full Index for the backup job would be automatically copied together with the data. But with Indexing V2, the Index Database is backed-up separately and only the Transaction Logs for the Index of the backup job is backed-up/copied together with the data (if I understand correctly).

Will we able to Browse and Recover the data without AuxCopying the entire Index Database backup to the temporary MA/Disk Library? The Index Database backups are more that 1TB in size, and we don’t have that space available in the test environment currently.

Thanks in advance!

icon

Best answer by Patrick Dijkgraaf 30 August 2022, 10:23

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

In case you can leverage VSA you could also consider recovering the AD controller out-of-place and connect the VM to an isolated network. This way you make sure it doesn't effect the production environment without the need to clone the CommServe and MA. Of course you will have to perform some additional required steps to make sure the AD comes up healthy. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

Yes, I know and I have tried to push the customer to have a virtual Domain Controller to ease this process.

Unfortunately the have not, and creating a virtual Domain Controller is something which they cannot easily achieve due to firewall restrictions.

We just tested, and it seems that we are able to browse the Index, even though we don’t have the full Index Database backup available in the isolated environment. So it seems like the Index Transaction Logs are sufficient. :-)