Solved

Domain migration

• 1 September 2022
  • 3 replies

Badge +1

CV Community,

I have 

2 - Virtual Commcell (One in our datacenter and DR in Azure)
2- Media agents (Physical)
1- Cloud media agent (Azure)

Could someone point me in the right direction to change domains? I haven’t found a clean set of instructions.  I want to do it in place (not build any new servers).  I’m for sure no expert in CV but hopefully there’s a doable procedure.

icon

Best answer by Damian Andre 2 September 2022, 05:18

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hi @AndyTheBear !  We had a similar question here:

This doc (and overall Name Management section) cover everything you should need:

https://documentation.commvault.com/2022e/expert/7022_changing_commserve_computer_name.html

Let us know if you have any questions!

Badge +1

Hmm… this is just a name change.  The name will be the same and just the domain (Active Directory) will change.  There will be a new credential also that I’m sure some service(s)/SQL may need updating since the old domain will not longer be connected? also the order.  I’m sure commserv first and media agent afterwards.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hmm… this is just a name change.  The name will be the same and just the domain (Active Directory) will change.  There will be a new credential also that I’m sure some service(s)/SQL may need updating since the old domain will not longer be connected? also the order.  I’m sure commserv first and media agent afterwards.  

The CommServe SQL instance uses local passwords - so no issue there. For the most part there is no impact on Commvault itself except if passwords are changing for applications you are using. To manage passwords you can use credential manager:

https://documentation.commvault.com/2022e/essential/119947_credential_manager.html

Commvault services all run under local system so domain change does not impact that either.

If your connected clients are using FQDN and the domain is changing that could be an issue, so you’ll need to check as you may need to do a hostname update/change or ensure its still resolvable after the domain change somehow.