Solved

Duplicate Edge Clients

• 11 May 2021
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +12

Hi All,

maybe you have an idea. We have the problem that all laptops and workstations are re imaged with sccm. So The clients get an new operating system. What happens in the commcell is that we get duplicate clients. new Clients are generated with name xxx____1 . When you check the backup history for both clients you can see that new clients are backuped to the new object. The problem is that the users cant access there old data. The strange part here is that not all clients with the new name xx____1 have the new backups. There are also some clients with an new name xx___1 but actually backup history is coupelt with the xxx name. 

I found an regkey: dForceClientOverride but its still active..

https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=107073.htm

We had opened an support case and will work on this issue

icon

Best answer by Mike Struening RETIRED 8 June 2021, 23:00

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Hi @SSchmidt 

Thanks for the question.

The behaviour is expected and is designed to cover the scenario when a user has a laptop and the machine is reimaged and distributed to another user, we automatically create a new client so the new user doesn’t have access to the old user’s data.

However, this doesn’t work so well if the laptop is returned to the same user and appears to have duplicate clients.

A workaround in the meantime would be to ensure that the user is assigned as the owner of both clients, then they would see the data in Web Console.

The additional setting you mention dForceClientOverride with Value = 1:

Users with CommCell level Administrative Management rights are given permissions to reinstall the laptop package on existing laptop clients, completely replacing the old laptop client in the Web Console.

I can see the case you have open with support, so we can track progress and share support findings here with Community to help if anyone else has a similar experience in future.

Thanks,

Stuart

Userlevel 1
Badge +12

Hi Stuart,

i think the problem comes up with the re image of the clients. Commvault did not get the inforamtion. I think in the windows image which is used for laptop deployment the client sofwtare ins installed so the commserve did not get the inforamtion that there is an upgrade. 

The Support will stage the DB and have a look into. ALso we will arange an remote session with the customer

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Hi @SSchmidt 

That makes sense, I see the support case also makes reference to another setting that I’ll add here for the Community.

Reinstalling the Laptop Backup Package - AllowLaptopRepurposeByAdmin

It may be simpler to provide a laptop build image either with de-coupled Commvault installation or no Commvault installation, then these decisions for repurposing a client to a new user or reconfiguring the client for the same user can be made during re-activation/re-installation.

Thanks,
Stuart

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Adding Solution and marking as resolved :sunglasses:

Finding Details:

No Issue found Laptop is syncing properly with existing client machines.
However, previously installed clients duplicate is found.

Solution:

In the previous communication end user confirmed, we no longer see duplicate laptop client name created during the reinstallation of IDA agent.
Regarding the duplicate entries which are created, we need to wait for the old client to meet the backup retention.
Once the backup meets the retention and the data is aged and pruned, we need to get the old client entries deleted from the commcell.
At the same time, we can rename the duplicate client names to get renamed from shortname___1 to shortname.