Solved

dyncache : what is this and used for ?

• 28 September 2021
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Hello,

On my windows MAs or CS, I have a Commvault DynCache service, that’s listed in the Processes tab of the Process Manager, but not in the Services tab. When I select to stop all CV services, this one is never stopped.

I have tried to look for information regarding this service/executable, to know what it is used for, but can’t find any information in docs, and Google has also none.

So where’s the best place -outside of CV support- to have information on CV binaries ? 

You guessed it : over there, so any details about this would be greatly appreciated. :wink:

icon

Best answer by Mike Struening RETIRED 28 September 2021, 15:46

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hey @Laurent !  Great question.

The reason we don’t have much documented is because it’s not a CV service, it’s a Microsoft service.

dyncache is the Microsoft Windows Dynamic Cache Service and this was created by MS to address a Memory Cache issue that could occur in 64-bit systems running earlier Windows versions.  Essentially, excessive Read IO on the Cache could cause it to grow and consume the available physical memory.  To address this issue Microsoft created and deployed the dyncache process.

According to Microsoft, "The Microsoft Windows Dynamic Cache Service will manage the working set size of the Windows System File Cache. For 64 bit systems this service helps to address the problem of excessive cached read I/O that could eventually consume all of physical memory. Sample source code and compiled files are included in the compressed file."

In Windows Server 2012 and newer this issue has been addressed on backend by Microsoft.  According to their documentation, "The problem used to be mitigated by dyncache tool. In Windows Server 2012, the architecture has been redesigned and this problem should no longer exist."

As a proactive measure we began including the dyncache installer in our Simpana Installer to prevent this Cache issue from occurring.  As Windows 2012 was given new architecture to no longer experience this issue, the dyncache service will not have any affect.  I did do some digging and did not locate any information indicating there could be any issues with having the service in place on Windows 2012 and I believe this can be safely ignored.

Here’s some links below to the Documentation from Microsoft.

Microsoft Windows Dynamic Cache Service:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=9258

Cache and Memory Manager Potential Performance Issues:
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/dn567645(v=vs.85).aspx

Let me know if you have any further question!

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

:joy: This is a perfect reason why it’s not documented in the commvault docs then !

Thanks a lot for the details, I appreciate.

So no need to focus on this service while cycling CV services or rebooting. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Nope!