Question

Easy way for users to upgrade their standalone Java consoles?

• 17 May 2023
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +10

In the past I believe (after upgrading the commvault environment, commserve/media agents, etc) a standalone java console would prompt “download and install updates?” and then the user would click “yes” and it would upgrade itself.  I’m on 11.24 and my standalone consoles are just throwing up a pop up saying basically ‘the console is behind. upgrade your console’. The console still runs after hitting “ok”, but its rather annoying.

In the past (if a console would not auto update when launched) I would have to manually build a package with an installer tool, copy it to the client machine, and then run the upgrade.

Is there a way for users to “upgrade the console themselves” through the Java UI ( or a setting that will cause the console to auto upgrade if needed?) without having to build an installer/upgrade package and send it to them?

4 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +6

@tigger2 

The best method is to use the netx program to login to the java console. It keeps the console in sync with the commserve version

https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11_sp20/article?p=3838.htm

Userlevel 6
Badge +18

Uninstall the Java console and use Command Center. 😇

Thanks,
Scott

Userlevel 2
Badge +10

Uninstall the Java console and use Command Center. 😇

Thanks,
Scott

I’m trying to get used to it, and am slowly moving some things we do to it, but all our docs and training internal stuff is based on the java console :)

Userlevel 2
Badge +10

@tigger2

The best method is to use the netx program to login to the java console. It keeps the console in sync with the commserve version

https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11_sp20/article?p=3838.htm

That URL helped me with “probably what i need to set up” which is a console on the webserver (to then download the files, etc) as the netx solution appears not to work unless you have the console installed on the webserver (which we do not, I guess, and netx fails and throws an error referencing a URL pointing to the web server, which does not exist). 

I read a lot from there and did some digging and I found that another documented solution is using the Java UI, and then going to Support [tab]→ Check for updates…. is supposed to detect differences and download and install updates…. and it tries and fails to find any updates on the commserve! (though they are installed on the comserve).  A few more attempts to solve this aaaand…

it appears the current solution (which worked) is to: Open the java Console shortcut “as administrator” (even though we are admins on our desktops, and are signing into the console with our CV admin accounts). This then launches the UI and … the pop up now indicates the console needs updating, and then has the old/original? ‘do you want to update it now?” button/question instead of saying ‘it needs updates. so you go do that”. pressing “yes” on the pop up and it auto downloads and updates.