Solved

Environmental clarification for Plans deployment

Userlevel 1
Badge +7

Hi All,

Recently I gone through some of the great discussion about Plans in the forum and also tried the same in our environment. But, at few areas I struggle to figure out the solution and looking helps.

• I understood that Synthetic Full backup schedule is automated and it run for every 30 days. But, where can modify it according to my environment.
  • How the data aging will be impacted if I haven’t enabled the Full backup option
  • How can I create a Plans for OS specific  and how to restrict the windows or linux client should be added into that Plan like schedule policy.
  • How can I enable the 1-Touch recovery option at plan level
  • How can I schedule a AUX copy as I couldn’t find option for sync copy.
  • By default it takes 1 cycle for all the backups. How can make into 0. Because in our case, we have daily INC and monthly Syntactic full backup and there is no full for VM/FS agents.
  • How to split up Backup Window for Primary copy and Aux Copy

• How to disable client association into Base Plan and only allow derived plans

• What happen if I am assign the Plan for VM Group which was already part of Some SP and Schedule Policy? Which one take precedency and how to avoid these kind of manual error

And also looking some best practices and challenges while managing the clients with Plans.

Thanks,

Mani

icon

Best answer by Mike Struening RETIRED 9 April 2021, 16:26

View original

12 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Hi @Manikandn - great questions around Plans, thank you!  We’ll share some answers soon and most likely put together an FAQ document as well. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@Manikandn , hope this finds you well!

Working on a bullet-listed set of answers for you.  In the meantime, thios thread here is VERY informative and should answer many of your overall questions and concerns.

Userlevel 1
Badge +7

@Manikandn , hope this finds you well!

Working on a bullet-listed set of answers for you.  In the meantime, thios thread here is VERY informative and should answer many of your overall questions and concerns.

Hi Mike,

I gone through the thread three times :wink::wink:  and it helped me reduced my no of questions.

Thanks,

Mani

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Great!  I thought it was extremely well written as well (the author @MFasulo is great)!

I’m still working on a bulleted list for you (and posterity) so we can properly mark this thread as answered.

Userlevel 1
Badge +7

Hi Mike,

Actually I am middle of some implementation and willing to get better understanding prior to implement the solution.

Just want to know that even if I am go via CV ticket will take same amount of time?

Thanks,

Mani

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@Manikandn if you need help immediately, go ahead and open a support case.  Let me know the case number so I can pull the solution back into the thread.

Userlevel 1
Badge +7

@Manikandn if you need help immediately, go ahead and open a support case.  Let me know the case number so I can pull the solution back into the thread.

@Mike Struening , 210405-117

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

thanks for the case number!

Sharing their reply here for posterity:

01. I understood that Synthetic Full backup schedule is automated and it run for every 30 days. But, where can modify it according to my environment.

Please follow the below documentation for the above query and check if it helps.

https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=36409.htm

https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=6789.htm

02. How data aging will be impacted if I haven’t enabled the Full backup option

https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=11918.htm

- If you don't have the full backup then the Cycle will not get complete and jobs will not get aged.

03. How can i create a Plans for OS specific  and how to restrict the windows or linux client should be added into that Plan like schedule policy.

- You can follow the below documentation:

Optional: Under Folders to backup, add the content:

By default the software includes all the files, folders and system state.

Based on the operating system of the client computer, click the Windows, Mac, or Unix tab.

To change the content, beside Content to backup, click Add.

The Add content dialog box appears.

https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=86648.htm

04. How can I enable the 1-Touch recovery option at plan level

-  This can not be configured at the plan level.

05. How can I schedule a AUX copy as I couldn’t find option for sync copy.

- You can go with selective copy if it helps. https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=119361.htm

06.By default it takes 1 cycle for all the backups. How can make into 0. Because in our case, we have daily INC and monthly Syntactic full backup and there is no full for VM/FS agents.

- The synthetic full is same as full when it comes to retention. However, We don't have option to define cycles on the plan level. I will check on this internally and get back.

07. How to split up Backup Window for Primary copy and Aux Copy

- You can change the schedule timings and configure the same.

https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=99434.htm

08. How to disable client association into Base Plan and only allow derived plans

- There is no way to stop association to base plan it is like any other plan available, even though you may have other plans derived from it. 

09. What happens if I am assign the Plan for VM Group which was already part of Some SP and Schedule Policy? Which one take precedency and how to avoid these kind of manual error.

- Associating to a plan should assign to a new SP and remove from the old.

- As for the schedule policy it will add them to the one from the plan, but probably you have to remove them from the old being that it is not associated with any plan.

Userlevel 1
Badge +7

@Mike Struening ,I am surprised by seeing that you made that response as best answer.

As I expected I haven’t got any valid answer to most of the questions. And the worst part is, your Commvault, doubting about my genuinity. 

With the overall 12 years of IT experience, I would say Commvault is providing good support for their customers by fixing issues. But, are they supporting customers to address their environmental challenges by using Commvault solutions? my answer is no.

Whenever we raising a case to CV about the issue, they will support asap and fix the issues. But if I find something and tell them that, hey guys if I am going to set up your product, it will create an issue in the future, then they not even ready to understand or straight away ignore it.

I had around 6-7 cases in the last 4 years and 2 cases in the past month.    

That’s the reason this time I raised the concern to the forum to get support from an expert who is really working on the ground. But, unfortunately again it has lead to the same path. and again I got the same kind of response. 

A simple statement, I would derive as 

“Commvault support eco-system is the great place to getting a solution for reactive problems, but not the right place to getting an answer for proactive measurements. “

Another big challenge I am facing CV support is, the incident picked by the engineer.

Most of the time the ticket hasn’t picked by the appropriate engineer, especially for proactive cases. I have to explain my query a minimum 2-3 times to the same engineer/different engineer or have to start from scratch.

But, does the other supporting system ( management escalation) resolving the issue? NO. 

I am not sure why are those guys hesitating to reach me over the call? 

Always I am reaching management escalation team to understand my concern with two below factors

1. What is the challenges I am facing with my current engineer?
  2. What kind of support I am looking for from CV?

But, unfortunately, always getting I am getting e-mail of copy/paste content of my incident. 

The simple statement, I would derive as 

“CV support engineers are perfectly hearing my words, but they not listing my pain areas.”

Sorry for the lengthy message. I am not a complaint about CV support, but I am saying there is a lot of room to improve.

Thanks,

Manikandan

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

No need to apologize @Manikandn .  If we haven’t resolved your issue here, then we still have work to do!

I have unmarked the ‘Best Answer’.

I see there was a follow up message on the incident for this case which I have pasted below.

However, more importantly I’d like to discuss your overall experience.  I had a read over some of your recent cases and can definitely see your point.

I’m going to reach out to you via a pm and we can get the right people to reach out to you.  Definitely not happy if you’re not happy!

01. I understood that the Synthetic Full backup schedule is automated and it run for every 30 days. But, where can modify it according to my environment.

- Please follow the below screenshots and let us know if it helps while adding the schedule you can define the number of days.

04. How can I enable the 1-Touch recovery option at plan level

- This can't be done at the plan level but you can raise an separate case with client team to get the workaround.

05. How can I schedule a AUX copy as I couldn’t find option for sync copy.

Please follow the below steps and documentation from the plan level. Try creating the AUX copy and let us know if you have any issues in this.

To configure an auxiliary copy, click Add.

The Add Storage dialog box appears.

1. In the Name box, enter a unique name for the storage.
  2. From the Storage pool list, select the pool to use.
  3. Optional: In the Retention period box, enter the number of days that the software retains the data.
  4. Click Save.

07. How to split up Backup Window for Primary copy and Aux Copy

- It depends upon you how you are defining the schedules to run these backups.

- Make sure the schedules are not clashing with each other.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@Manikandn , following up to ensure a support manager has reached out to you.

Let me know what concerns you still have about this thread and we can address.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@Manikandn , gentle follow up to see if you were ready to mark this thread as closed with support management reaching out to you.

Thanks!