Solved

Exch DAG backup failed at archive index phase with error - Could not open bcontents

• 20 September 2022
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

Good day,

V11.SP28.20

Exch DAG regular full backup failed at archive index phase with error - Could not open bcontents

#1 confirmed index directory has more space and no index alert in health report 

#2 backup always go through the same MA

#3 look at the directory and the file(bcontents.dat) is missing 

how to make new full to get ride of the old bcontents.dat that doesn’t exist anymore and  create a new .bat from scratch  ?

******ArchiveIndex.Log
8272  3978  09/20 10:38:24 736753 BCONTENTSTABLE(F:\CV_IC\CV_Index\2\1074\1663614223\bcontents) Could not open F:\CV_IC\CV_Index\2\1074\1663614223\bcontents.dat with isam error 12 (Could not open file: not there or locked). sysiocod=2
8272  3978  09/20 10:38:24 736753 PostProcessIndex Failed to get last record for tree index with code=101 (Could not find isam keyno request)

Tried:

Force full backup go to a different MA, but when job starts, it automatically switch back to the same MA that used to do the backup

icon

Best answer by Scott Reynolds 20 September 2022, 21:42

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Thanks for the post @DanC !

First thing to check, do you have any Anti virus software that could be scanning that folder?

Can you ensure the folders are excluded?

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

@Mike Struening

thank you
CV excluded from AV

I just realized few things :

#1 the CS was upgraded to SP29 on 16/Sep Morning but the MA that used for Exch dag backup was still on sp27 in that day

#2 The dag full backup kicked off at 11pm on 16/Sep and failed on 17/Sep morning around 1am with .dat error so i believe that is version mismatch between CS and MA caused the issue

#3 On the 17/Sep around 2PM, the MA in question upgraded to the same SP as CS but the MA doesn’t reboot and another full still having the same issue

I think reboot the MA should fix this issue and let me create a CR to proceed  and will update with the outcomes

if issue persist, will install procMon on the MA in question to see if av block/delete file during backup

thanks

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Hello @DanC 

We seen this specifically with Exch DAG database backups and MAs not on the same version of the Commcell. Applying updates to the MAs and then Exchange nodes should resolve the issue. I do not think a reboot will matter in this instance I would apply the updates first.

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

@Scott Reynolds 

thank you

we did upgrade the MA to the same SP as CS right after exch Full backup failed 

now full backup still having the same error even though CS&MA are on the same SP 29.20

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

@DanC  Are all the Exchange nodes also on the same version?

Are you leveraging ransomware protection on the MAs?

https://documentation.commvault.com/2022e/essential/142279_enabling_ransomware_protection_on_mediaagent.html

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

@Scott Reynolds

thank you

Member server have two nodes which are on SP25.32 where MA and CS are on SP29.20

actually backup completed for the DBs but failed on the last phase/step : archive index at the MA

I will create a CR to upgrade two nodes to the same version as CS/MA  and let you know the outcomes

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

@Scott Reynolds, Mike Struening

thank you for the help

after upgrade two member servers to same SP as MA,  issue resolved

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

@DanC  Awesome glad we were able to get the issue resolved! Thanks for updating the thread.