Solved

Exchange Agent is not shown for the client.

Userlevel 4
Badge +15

Hello Community, 

We are using the Commvault Verison SP11.20.90 and now had to install the Commvault Agents for the backup of Exchange on two clients. After the installation was completed successfully, they were also listed in Commvault. 
However, when I look into the clients, I only see the File Agent. The Exchange Agent is not shown here. 
Is this a bug or is there something else I need to be aware of here ?

Kind Regards
Thomas

icon

Best answer by Mike H 27 July 2022, 16:28

View original

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

@thomas.S What do you actually mean with when I lok into the clients? Is this actually on the client it self or once you collapse the client object in the CommCell console? What about Command Center? Do you see them listed there? 

I would b.t.w. consider to update the latest FR20 maintenance release a.s.a.p. because you are missing some security related fixes or even better to jump towards FR24 (LTS). Not sure if this already resolves your issue but even though you are on a LTS release, you are running behind. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +15

Hi @Onno van den Berg

I have put a screenshot in the attachment. Here you can see that Exchange is installed but not displayed in the console. This is the problem I am facing. In our old Exchange environment we also had the agents installed and they were also visible in the Console.

We are planning to update the environment itself next month. Here we would like to go from 20.90 to 28.6. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Mmmm strange but what about Command Center? In regards to jumping directly to FR28 from FR20, I would personally not make a jump that big in one go and in addition I would wait longer for FR28 to mature. Next month F28 will be assigned the GA status which states you should be able to upgrade as of that moment. You would be one of the first to jump ship…… 

Anyway no idea why Exchange is not popping up in the CommCell console so I would check Command Center and if that is visible than I would open a ticket for investigation. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +15

Hello @Onno van den Berg

ok, thanks for the recommendation on FR28. We already have FR28 running in our test environment and it seems to be stable so far. 
In the Command Center I can't see anything from Exchange on the two clients either. I think that I will open a ticket. 

Thank you very much.

Userlevel 3
Badge +6

Hi @thomas.S 

Once you install the Exchange Agent you need to create the Exchange Application:

https://documentation.commvault.com/2022e/expert/96523_adding_exchange_database_agent.html

Userlevel 4
Badge +15

Hello @Mike H

Oh yeah, ok I didn't know that.
Thanks for the help. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +15

I can now include the databases for the two Exchange systems in the backup. But how do I get the Exchange DAG client set up ? Here the member servers are not found and a Discover runs on error.

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

@thomas.S have you checked the documentation → https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11_sp20/article?p=95951.htm

Userlevel 4
Badge +15

I have tried to follow the documentation but I am having a problem discovering it and I don't know what the problem could be.

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

@thomas.S  During this discovery we are reaching out to AD to get DAG information. Can you try and select ‘use proxy’ if the CS is not in the same domain using a proxy will resolve that issue.

If that still fails, you can check the Windows app log on the proxy you selected (which should be a client was exchange agent installed and, in the DAG, if possible) There could be an issue binding to Active Directory to run the query for DAG info

If discovery still does not complete its best to open a case so that support can investigate.

Userlevel 4
Badge +15

@Scott Reynolds  Thank you for the feedback. Before I open a ticket with Commvault, I would clarify if the CommServe is allowed to perform a discovery on the AD.