Solved

Exchange DAG user permissions required at exchange level

• 22 February 2022
  • 12 replies

Badge +3

I need to configure a new Exchange DAG.

In the configuration settings there is an user to specify. The Exchange Administrators are asking me which are the right permission to assign to that user at Exchange level.

I don’t find in the documentation a clear answer. Someone can help me ?

Thanks

icon

Best answer by Jos Meijer 7 July 2022, 21:45

View original

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hi @YNAP !  I can’t find it either (we mention specifying the user, but not the permissions needed):

https://documentation.commvault.com/11.25/essential/95951_creating_exchange_dag_client.html

I’ve reached out to our docs team as well as our DAG support folks and will get an answer for you!

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

Hello @YNAP  - the account it is asking for at that step of the Exchange Database iDA deployment is an account (typically a Domain Admin) that has the rights to do a lookup in Active Directory to get the information from Exchange about the databases configured. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@YNAP , I’m having the docs amended in your name to include this detail:

https://documentation.commvault.com/11.25/expert/17034_changing_user_accounts_for_backups.html

By default, a user account with Exchange administrator privileges is provided during the agent installation. You can change the user account at the agent level.

Before you install the Exchange package and add the Exchange Database Agent, make sure that the user is a member of:

• Backup Operator

• Local Administrator group

Being a member of these groups allows the user to:

• Perform backups and restores

• Log on to the related server to access the data

Badge +3

Thanks @Mike Struening,

the question is which level of privileges when you say “user account with Exchange administrator privileges”. I’m looking for the minimal permissions required on Exchange

I need to communicate to Exchange Administrators. Is there some documentation related to this?

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@YNAP , this doc details the required permissions:

https://documentation.commvault.com/11.25/expert/17034_changing_user_accounts_for_backups.html

I’m working with our docs team to make sure this is easily found in the install docs as well.

Badge +3

Thanks @Mike Struening ,

but is not completely true that document explain well the permissions required.

If you want to see a good document, in my opinion, go here Minimal Permissions required for backing Up Exchange Server version 2010, 2013, 2016 and 2019 (veritas.com)

There are several levels of Administration permissions for Exchange and saying “Exchange administrator privileges” is not clear completely.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@YNAP , let me get better clarification, both for you as well as in the document.

Badge

I also would like to know this information.  The user that would have been created on install, where would one find that user?

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@Eeyore Backups , I sent a follow up on the doc MR.

Will get an answer here for everyone!

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Short update, still looking into this.  Want to ensure we have a detailed answer.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@YNAP , I’m still trying to get a concrete answer for you, though I would advise creating a support ticket to track this down.

Once you get the case number, let me know and I can push it accordingly.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Edit: my message was about the wrong subject, removed text as this solution concerned mailbox and not DB backup

Edit 2: I think the exchange security group "organization management" is the proper group, as defined earlier the user needs to have "exchange administrator privileges" and this group is made to provide all rights to perform actions in the exchange environment.