Solved

Exchange Online Mailbox metering

• 27 October 2021
  • 14 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +8

Hi, Exchange Online detects ~2500 mailboxes in the Exchange Office 365 app. The customer shows me a screenshot indicating he has only 1250 Microsoft 365 E3 licenses assigned. What causes this mismatch, is there a problem, are more Commvault user licenses necessary? Thanks.

icon

Best answer by Mike Struening RETIRED 6 December 2021, 22:35

View original

14 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@iConsultantĀ , are you seeing 2500 backed up and getting ā€˜countedā€™ in the licensing?Ā  Iā€™m pretty sure we donā€™t back up non-licensed MBs so Iā€™m curious if youā€™re asking in advance, or if you are seeing overage in the license now.

Thanks!

Userlevel 2
Badge +8

Hi Mike,

I see:

• 2392 Mailboxes mentioned in Command Center (Exchange Office 365 app)
  • 2392 Total Mailboxes mentioned in the first Exchange Online backup job I started
  • 1250 Microsoft 365 E3 Assigned licenses in a screenshot of the customer
  • 0 of Total 1250 Mailboxes used in Licensing and Registration

I have suspended the first backup, reason why I not see any used mailboxes yet in Licensing and Registration.

I just don't want to resume the job, which has already backed up a number of mailboxes by the way, before this is cleared.

Maybe I should open a ticket for this.

Thanks.

Ā 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Let me look into this for you before we create a case.Ā  I believe I have the answer here:

1. In Exchange Online, you have 2392 mailboxes, of which 1250 are licensed in Azure/MSFT 365/Exchange Online
  2. The backup ā€˜seesā€™ all 2392, and ā€˜intendsā€™ to back them up
  3. however, for each unlicensed mailbox, we will give this error:
    1. Invalid mailbox license. So skipping mailbox
  4. The backup will complete and only protect 1250, which is what you will see in your CV license usage

I am 99% sure that is what will happen, though I want to confirm with our docs team.

From what we state here:

https://documentation.commvault.com/11.24/essential/114734_office_365_components_in_usage_calculation_01.html

Usage Decrease

License usage can decrease because of any of the following actions:

• Exchange Mailbox Agent:

• Removing existing mailboxes from subclient content.

• Disabling backup activity on a subclient with mailboxes as content.

I want to ensure that we donā€™t ā€˜countā€™ skipped at all, as well as how we handle protected mailboxes that are unlicensed after the fact.

Iā€™ll let you know what the docs team confirms (and have the docs updated)!

Userlevel 2
Badge +8

@Mike Struening Hi, I resumed the job and it is backing up more than the number of licensed mailboxes (job not yet finished). I have all reasons to believe it is backing up Shared Mailboxes and Group Mailboxes, which do not need a Microsoft E3 license (and hopefully Commvault backs up for free). Although the job is not yet finished, I am pretty convinced now that everything works as designed.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Let me know how it looks when completed and Licensing is applied.

Iā€™m still working with a few groups to narrow down our expectations.

Userlevel 2
Badge +8

Hi @Mike Struening , The job has completed and successfully backed up 2324 mailboxes. Licensing indicates 1347 Commvault licenses have been used, which is 107% of purchased Commvault licenses (1250). Again, the customer has only 1250 Exchange Online licenses, of which only 1222 are in use. This is a little bit annoying because the customer thinks he asked for the correct amount of Commvault licenses, our Sales Dept. thinks they have a done an absolutely fantastic job and now this all should go through different channels / purchase orders again, with me being asked to provide an explanation soonest :slight_smile: (not really) . Fortunately 107% is not 110% so I think there is no hurry here.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Yeah, thatā€™s an unfortunate place to find yourself.Ā  Do you know which mailboxes are the ā€˜extrasā€™?

Iā€™m working with our docs team to get this all updated to avoid these issues going forward; Iā€™m just now really curious as to where those extras came from.

Userlevel 2
Badge +8

Hi, I just counted and Commvault ā€œseesā€ in Command Center 1328 user mailboxes. The rest are shared and group mailboxes (which are also backed up). Of these 1328 mailboxes, Commvault indicated 8 were ā€œnot processedā€ (leaves 1320 backed up). How this fits in with 1347 Commvault licenses in use and only 1250 Exchange Online mailbox E3 licenses, I don't know. As long as the total percentage of over usage is less than 110%, fortunately there doesn't seem to be a problem.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Might be shared mailboxes.

I heard back from our dev team:

MSFT consumes a license for user mailboxes but for shared mailboxes they donā€™t. Similarly we consume license only for user mailboxes which are licensed by Microsoft.

All other types of mailboxes will not be included.

I asked for the docs to get updated to clarify.

Userlevel 2
Badge +8

Hi, Today I happened to see that a colleague of me has opened a Ticket (Incident 211019-182) for a similar issue at a different customer. It shows among others 2 screenshots: 1 of a mailbox not being processed in Command Center, and one of that same mailbox consuming a Commvault license. I will wait if that ticket will be resolved. Hope this helps!

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

It does!Ā  Iā€™ll track the case as well.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

FYI, @iConsultantĀ I created a doc MR in your name to get this all clarified in our documentation.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@iConsultantĀ , how is this looking?Ā  I saw that dev provided the following:

From Development checks,Ā Ā license for the user ā€œ<User email>Ā is calculated from journaling client ā€œ<DAG CLIENT>ā€œ.
We have attached list of the usersĀ for licenses that are getting calculated for journaling . see attach XLS file.
Ā 
So this user license is not calculated from the user mailbox client, therefore current LicenseĀ calculationĀ working as design.
Ā 
Let me know if this is now resolved/understood.
Userlevel 2
Badge +8

Hi Mike, I am not in charge of this ticket, but in that case I guess we can close this one. Thanks so far!