Solved

Exclude tag set in VM backups does not work intermittently.

• 22 January 2022
  • 2 replies

Badge

Hi All,

We have set exclusion on some of the VMs so that backup does not happen for those VMs. However, on some days, we see that this exclusion is not considered in Commvault and backup for all the VMs in that subclient runs which causes a lot of issues.

However, when we go and check in the preview of the contents in the sub client we do not see the excluded servers in it and the next backup that starts runs fine with exclusion in place.

Do anyone have any thoughts on why this is happening?

Regards, 

Deepa

icon

Best answer by Graham Swift 23 January 2022, 22:20

View original

If you have a question or comment, please create a topic

2 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Hello @Deepa ,

I have seen this type of thing before where the vCenter didn’t respond with the information about the tags when requested. It could be a performance issue on the vCenter side so may need some investigation from that side. Our product defaults to backup rather than fail for obvious reasons! We do however have an option to change that behaviour. 

https://documentation.commvault.com/additionalsetting/details?name=%22bAllowMissedFilters%22&id=6867

Please test this to make sure it does what I think you are asking!

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

I agree with Graham, I feel like there could be an intermittent issue retrieving the information from vCenter - maybe when its really busy with a bunch of backup jobs.

When it happens again, take a look at vsdiscover.log on the VSA machine and see if you can spot any clues - that log contains full diagnostic logging of the discovery and inclusion/exclusion of VMs for backup.