Solved

Failed to create SQL shadow for database

• 20 July 2022
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Hello Vaulter,

I have enable Volume Snapshot Shadow on the specified volume buit keep getting this error.

Failed to create SQL shadow for database [ISW-CAESAR02..caesar]. Source: isw-caesar02, Process: SQLiDA

I would appreciate further guide to fix.

icon

Best answer by Orazan 20 July 2022, 15:54

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Good morning.  Do you see anything in the Windows Application or System logs at the time that the database failed?  Can you please tell me why you are choosing to use VSS for SQL backups?  

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Good morning.  Do you see anything in the Windows Application or System logs at the time that the database failed?  Can you please tell me why you are choosing to use VSS for SQL backups?  

No, I didnt see nothing in Windows Application or system logs at the time the db failed.

I choose VSS for sql backup because I felt it will correct the error.

Do you think it is wise to use VSS for sql backup or it should be disabled?

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

VSS for SQL backups is usually only used in certain use cases such as DBs that are just too large to stream without issues.  VSS backups while faster in backing up data, have restore limitations that streaming backups do not.  Unless there is a specific use case for using VSS with SQL DB backups I would recommend to stay with streaming backups.

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

VSS for SQL backups is usually only used in certain use cases such as DBs that are just too large to stream without issues.  VSS backups while faster in backing up data, have restore limitations that streaming backups do not.  Unless there is a specific use case for using VSS with SQL DB backups I would recommend to stay with streaming backups.

Thank you. 

will apply as you have said