Solved

Failed to read media during restore

• 23 November 2021
  • 9 replies

Badge +1

Hi everyone

This is my first post.

I was trying to restore some files I lost from an earlier backup.

I could view the files and folders. I selected the copy precedence to be 1 (my primary copy)

However, whenever the operation starts, it gives the error “Failed to read media during restore” and stops at 5%

Everything seems fine. Until I tried to skip the errors, and I find out that the folders are restored, but no files in them.

Please help out. Is there something in the settings I have to change?

icon

Best answer by Mike Struening RETIRED 24 January 2022, 22:15

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@camador , kee4p us posted!  If you run into issues afterwards, I’ll move this to its own thread for better tracking :nerd:

Badge

We recently ran into this issue. 

Let me back up a second. 

The dimm for the controller card on the server went out - we ordered and replaced it. 

System came back up without any issues - then we had a restore request post hardware update. 

Haven’t reviewed the logs yet - however ordering the secondary copy (thankfully we have one) to see if I can do a restore from tape. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@zadok001 , were you able to get this working?  Seek errors are usually indicative of hardware issues (either connecting to its resources or with the device itself).

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@zadok001 , have you had a chance to review @Laurent ‘s questions?

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Hi and welcome @zadok001 

BTW, were you using deduplication on the backup ?

Is the storage used for this primary safe ? I mean not corrupted and fully available ? 

Badge +1

Thanks @zadok001 ,

Since this is WinFS we will need to look at CVD.log on MediaAgent for any related communications or read errors. On the Client Machine we’ll need to likely check the ClRestore.log file for anything on client side.

Have a look in those logs and let us know if you spot any issues.

Note: If you have trouble with the logs, we do have the GxTail util (In /Base/ folder) which you can use to open the logs, Filter (F5) on the JobId and place Markers (F9, Select a profile) for highlighting errors.
For details on the tool see here: https://documentation.commvault.com/11.24/expert/49881_gxtail_overview.html

Best Regards,

Michael

Thanks Michael

So I checked the logs (cvd ON Media Agent, CIRestore on the Client) I found this error to be recurrent, “the failed byte count does not include files that failed due to seek error”. I attached a screenshot. Now the major issue is that “seek error”. This is what I got on the Commserve.

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Thanks @zadok001 ,

Since this is WinFS we will need to look at CVD.log on MediaAgent for any related communications or read errors. On the Client Machine we’ll need to likely check the ClRestore.log file for anything on client side.

Have a look in those logs and let us know if you spot any issues.

Note: If you have trouble with the logs, we do have the GxTail util (In /Base/ folder) which you can use to open the logs, Filter (F5) on the JobId and place Markers (F9, Select a profile) for highlighting errors.
For details on the tool see here: https://documentation.commvault.com/11.24/expert/49881_gxtail_overview.html

Best Regards,

Michael

Badge +1

Hi @zadok001 ,

What Agent type are you restoring from here please? - Windows/Linux FileSystem, VSA, etc.

It would be worth checking the logs for this one, One the Job you can “View Logs”. - Depending on the type of restore here will depend on what logs are necessary/displayed.

If the Primary is on Disk, Do you have a secondary copy of the data? - If so, are you able to restore from that?

Best Regards,

Michael

Thanks Michael.

Agent Type is Windows FileSystem. What exactly do I look out for in the logs?

Secondary copy is not available.

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Hi @zadok001 ,

What Agent type are you restoring from here please? - Windows/Linux FileSystem, VSA, etc.

It would be worth checking the logs for this one, One the Job you can “View Logs”. - Depending on the type of restore here will depend on what logs are necessary/displayed.

If the Primary is on Disk, Do you have a secondary copy of the data? - If so, are you able to restore from that?

Best Regards,

Michael