Solved

FREL/access node auto-deploy from Command Center

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

I have been playing around with a feature that allows you to deploy VMware-based FREL and/or access nodes directory from Command Center. This feature works out nicely, it requires some aftercare for hwich I opened a CMR but it also raised some questions.

I'm running FR26 with the the latest maintenance release applied, but the version of the FREL/access node that is deployed is FR25. The cloud portal shows a FR26 version, so why is it downloading and deploying an outdated version? Why is it not automatically being updated to the same FR/MR that runs on the CommServe? In addition to Commvault updates what about OS updates? How often is the OVA which is based on Oracle Linux being updated by Commvault? Will Command Center notify me a of a new build, and will it download and auto-replace the existing nodes with the newer version automatically reusing the configuration settings that were entered during the initial setup?

Update → official documentation link: https://documentation.commvault.com/11.26/essential/144021_deploying_vmware_access_node_for_linux.html

icon

Best answer by Onno van den Berg 29 July 2022, 16:22

View original

11 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Didnt even know this was a thing but it’s definitely interesting.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

interesting indeed, will be checking this also

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@Onno van den Berg , I checked with one of our top support guys and he said if it is doing this, we should get dev involved.

Can you open a support case and share the incident number here?

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

@Mike Struening I have opened ticket 220428-212. Will update the post once I have something to report. I b.t.w. already openend a CMR to enhance it even further because currently there is some aftercare to be done to make it work flawlessly:

• Allow ability to specify CPU/RAM resources
  • Allow ability to deploy multiple nodes in one go by incrementing information like IP, hostnames etc automatically.
  • Increase the amount of SCSI controllers by default to the maximum allowed number. When using the FREL/access node for backup copies you quickly run into the maximums of a single SCSI adapter.
Userlevel 7
Badge +23

You’re awesome @Onno van den Berg , thanks!!

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

The case opened is currently in escalation awaiting a new OVA for FR26 to be cut.

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

So they fixed the issue in a sense that they will deploy FR26 OVA when you run FR26. They also made some changes to the template so they will create the FREL with 4 SCSI controllers by default which is already a nice enhancement. Other changes are coming but there is an issue currently. If you do not allow the deployed FREL to communicate to the Internet then you run in an issue that is causing the FREL deployment to fail because it hits a timeout. There is a fix, but they deploy the FREL without any MR applied which means that even though there is a fix that you will still not be able to deploy it. They are looking into this to update the OVA template to at least MR27.

I’m pushing for a more future proof solution because this will happen again….

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Update: new FREL OVA image for FR26 will be uploaded within a few days which contains the fix that should resolve the deployment issue that occurs when you are blocking the access to the Internet. For 2022e it was added to the initial image. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

New FREL FR26 OVA image was uploaded and I tested it and it's working now!

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Awesome!

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

That is great news