Solved

Fresh Imaging Hyperscale X Reference Architecture 3 Nodes

• 24 May 2023
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +9

Hello, 

i have a project that a client will deploy HSX RA on Hpe proLient DL360 in the environment. 

i have never implemented HSX Before.

and i have checked the documentation for  the RA installation and network configuration. 

https://documentation.commvault.com/v11/essential/154258_setting_up_installation_media_for_hyperscale_x_reference_architecture.html

my question is is there’s a guild explains step by step the installation starting from configuring the servers, and the HSX imaging ?

my blind step is how the image will be installed?

dhcp is not enabled.

documentation says that u’ll use a windows machine that can connect to the nodes and download the iso from the store then mount the image and start the installation.

1 - do i need to mount the iso on each node from the ILO ?

2- how the nodes can communicate during the installation as when you start configuring the first node it searchs for the other nodes. 

icon

Best answer by Emils 29 May 2023, 03:00

View original

6 replies

Badge +1

@NWPartner12 

in my case, the hardware is SuperMicro 6029P-WTRT,

i fase the same issue and i had to change ACHI to RAID. (for the same HSX-RA)

Badge

Hey, it doesn’t look like anyone has really helped you.  They don’t cover that screen in the deployment guide because you aren’t supposed to see it.  In fact i would bet few Commvault employees have. 

The reason you see it because you are using 3rd party hardware and it came with a RAID controller in front of the capacity disks.  Those units will almost always come from their manufacture with the drives set up for RAID.  Depending on your vendor (HPe it seems) you need to go into your RAID controller and take all those disks out of RAID and move them to either JBOD, non-RAID, pass through, whatever the setting is for your vendor.  

Once the Installer can see those drives it will detect a HyperScaleX deployment and automatically install HyperScale without any prompts or interaction.  After that you can continue using the deployment guides.

Hope this helps.

Userlevel 1
Badge +9

Hi @Muhammad Abdullah 

May I please ask which ISO are you using? Please use latest available here.

The initial imaging (booting from ISO and following the wizard ) are done independently. The nodes at this point do not need to communicate. Once this step is done, you can then issue the hsxsetup command and assuming all the network pre-work is done this is when the nodes will discover each other.

https://documentation.commvault.com/v11/essential/153848_setting_up_network_in_hyperscale_x_reference_architecture_nodes.html

If you’re using LACP, you will need to ensure all the links + Switches have been configured to support this (Switch Vendor may need to be engaged), otherwise either configure basic or Mode1 (Active-Backup) until LACP is fully configured and tested).

Hello @Emils 

thanks for the response, 

i have tried in my virtual lab to install the image as the screen below 

when i select multi node installation it pops up an error “ no hosts discovered for multinode installation.

any advice ?

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @Muhammad Abdullah 

May I please ask which ISO are you using? Please use latest available here.

The initial imaging (booting from ISO and following the wizard ) are done independently. The nodes at this point do not need to communicate. Once this step is done, you can then issue the hsxsetup command and assuming all the network pre-work is done this is when the nodes will discover each other.

https://documentation.commvault.com/v11/essential/153848_setting_up_network_in_hyperscale_x_reference_architecture_nodes.html

If you’re using LACP, you will need to ensure all the links + Switches have been configured to support this (Switch Vendor may need to be engaged), otherwise either configure basic or Mode1 (Active-Backup) until LACP is fully configured and tested).

Userlevel 1
Badge +9

Hi @Muhammad Abdullah 

Thanks for reaching out. The best advise I can give you is make sure you prepare the environment, DNS, network (IP + Switch + Cabling) in advanced. Please review the following section in our documentation to assist you.

For the following queries:

2- how the nodes can communicate during the installation as when you start configuring the first node it searchs for the other nodes. 

1. Yes you will need to attach to each node’s iLO’s IP/KVM , please ensure the workstation used is in the same physical location as the nodes and not via a WAN/VPN as this will introduce delays and possible unnecessary retries.
  2. Once the nodes are imaged, we will use integrated services for discovery, these will assume that all the network related preparations are in place (Mentioned above)

Hello @Emils 

thanks for the reply !

yes the network is ready.

my blind spot is:

when you start imaging you work on one of the nodes and it start search for the other nodes.

so how i can manage to overcome this, as i have tried in my lab and i got the error says could not find the other nodes

so is mounting the iso on each node using the ILO is enough ? or there’s some steps needs to be done prior mounting the image? and how the nodes will communicate with each other?  its a bare metal servers no os. is installed.

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @Muhammad Abdullah 

Thanks for reaching out. The best advise I can give you is make sure you prepare the environment, DNS, network (IP + Switch + Cabling) in advanced. Please review the following section in our documentation to assist you.

For the following queries:

1. Yes you will need to attach to each node’s iLO’s IP/KVM , please ensure the workstation used is in the same physical location as the nodes and not via a WAN/VPN as this will introduce delays and possible unnecessary retries.
  2. Once the nodes are imaged, we will use integrated services for discovery, these will assume that all the network related preparations are in place (Mentioned above)