Solved

FS System Archiving and Restore of all the stubs

• 21 July 2022
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +8

We want to be able to restore all the data that we have archived for a customer back to the same server.  They have archiving setup in both FS and a NAS location.  They want to decommission archiving 

I  can trigger a restore from the most recent synthetic fulll archive and restore all the data back to production servers; however just wanted to make sure it would completely replace all the stubs that were ever created on the source server.  

I was reading through the documentation as as I understand the retention of the stubbed data only works on copies 

at the moment the storage policy sends data to local ma and one aux copy to another location and third one to tape; so hopefully the SP retention policy wont apply to the local MediaAgent.

Retention is only considered for copies that contain the job.

From <https://documentation.commvault.com/11.24/expert/111875_creating_new_archiving_subclient_for_windows_file_system.html

“ 

icon

Best answer by Damian Andre 21 July 2022, 08:01

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

If you are running synthetic fulls then its likely that your archiving method is OnePass, which means indeed all the data is retained in the latest synthetic full. Obviously you can choose the option to restore data instead of the stub and unconditional overwrite (although maybe restore if target is a stub may be a better option. I am not 100% sure if both options can be combined)

That should restore the latest copy of anything. The only exception is if somebody has moved a stub out of its original location, then some stubs may still exist. 

If you wanted to recall all stubs in place - i.e restore them even if they have moved to a new location after they were archived, there is a tool available from support called the “copyrecall tool”. This will reclusively recall all stubs on a server, which takes way longer than restoring, but it will ensure all data is restored in place where the stub currently resides. Anyway, that may not be applicable to your scenario, but putting it out there :) 

Userlevel 2
Badge +8

thanks Damien 

I will check with Commvault support if I could get that tool.  I think you are referring to the below mentioned option.  Also, as the app size is 5TB customer needs to ensure the source location has enough free space in the directory structure where the stubs are located.  They are moving away from archiving 

The share is SMB on a net app device and and commvault uses a windows proxy to run the archiving operation; hopefully I am not missing out anything before I trigger the restore.  

Once the restore is complete I will decommission the agent from the proxy and remove the sudo client  ..thanks a lot for your help

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

Hi @Damian Andre. I just found this thread and contacted support about the copyrecall tool you mentioned. They say they don’t know of it existing. Can you confirm the tool still exists, and if it does, point it out to the Support Engineer? The Incident nr is 230906-289. Thanks!