Solved

Guest file restore - VMWare

• 3 January 2022
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +7

Hello All,

We have HSX deployed and few VM’s were added to backups and we tried Guest file restores. It completed successfully. However I would like to know whether the HSX nodes has ability to browse the windows VM guest files or the Commserve is being utilized to browse the guest files from VM.

Also, if I have a dedicated VM with VSA installed how I can force the VM to be utilized for browsing the VM guest files. This VM should be utilized only for browse and its not required during the backup operation.

Regards,

Ananth

icon

Best answer by MichaelCapon 4 January 2022, 09:08

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

Following, I - wonder if a dedicated traffic rule for the ports used to browse were put in place. Perhaps that would isolate which VSA agent is being used? Thinking out loud.

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Hi @Ananth,

You can check the Browse.log from the CommServe, It will tell you if the browse operation was forwarded to a VSA / MA here.

If you have a Windows VSA in the Proxies list of the Virtualisation Client Instance, Then its likely that would have been used.

Further details on the process can be found here: 
https://documentation.commvault.com/11.24/essential/136493_ntfs_live_browse_for_restores_using_linux_mediaagent.html

Best Regards,

Michael

Userlevel 1
Badge +7

Hello All,

Thanks for the time and knowledge you shared here.

My question was whether the HSX Linux nodes are capable to browse the windows VM guest files and the answer is yes as the Linux started supporting NTFS file system. With this point our HSX Linux nodes is capable to browse the guest files of windows VM. Hence we don’t need any dedicated windows VSA to browse the guest files.

Thanks for all your answers and help towards my question.

Regards,

Ananth