Solved

Hitachi HCP object storage as a data protection source.

• 1 August 2022
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

Hi experts,

A customer wants to back up the existing object storage(Hitachi HCP - S3 compat) but I’m not sure if HCP can be configured as a backup source.

In this BOL, seems Amazon S3, Azure Blob are supported as a data protection source.

https://documentation.commvault.com/11.26/essential/118899_backing_up_amazon_s3_content_groups.html

But no guidance for the others including HCP.

Recently our engineer failed to configure the HCP as a backup source. (it worked well as a backup target)

I want to get the confirmation if this is supported or not.

Thanks.

icon

Best answer by Mike Struening RETIRED 2 August 2022, 23:44

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@Hongmo Kim , I don’t see it listed anywhere, though I’ll check with our docs team to be thorough.

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

@Mike,

I’ll be grateful if you keep me updated on this.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

I would expect that the original data source replicates data to HCP in order to provide data retention and resilience.

The original data source in this case is backed up by Commvault.

Does this customer use HCP as a primary data location?

Can you provide more context in order to see if this is the most efficient route?

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@Hongmo Kim , I heard back from the dev team will be replying here (no ETA, but soon).

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

@Jos Meijer 

Thanks for your opinion.

Yes. Customer uses HCP as a primary data storage and just wants to back this up using CV into any storage which is handled by CV as a backup target.

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

@Mike Struening 

Thanks for your efforts.

I’ll be waiting for any comment from dev team here.

Hoping that it’d be planned even if it’s tentative.

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

Hello @Hongmo Kim 

I have in the past been backing up some tenants on the Hitachi HCP. It’s not very fast but it was possible.

You need to install the “Cloud Apps” package on the MediaAgent doing the backup.

Then add a new Cloud storage “Amazon S3” client. Give it a client name, Instance name and choose the Access Node where the cloud app was installed, and choose a storage policy. Under “Connection Details” fill out the host url, and choose “Access and secret keys”. Select the credential for the tenant (you need to add this to the Credentials manager)

After this, the client should have been created and in the subclient you can configure content to backup, storage policy etc.

Remember firewall openings if the HCP is on a separate network.

Hope this helps a little bit

Regards

-Anders

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

@ApK 

Great information !

I’m not certain if it will work as I expected but it’s worth a try to get the confirmation.

Thank you so much.

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

FYI   @Mike Struening @ApK 

Finally I’ve succeeded in configuring the Hitachi HCP as protection source using amazon S3 API.

We have to input URL including http protocol and tenant user’s access and secret key.

HCP is not certificated yet but verified it worked. 

Hope you find this useful.