Solved

how is license formed

• 1 February 2022
  • 5 replies

Badge +5

Hey everyone.

our Commvault FR24 customer has purchased a number of cloud licenses based on the “active users” in their tenant admin. Our understanding is that “active users” is what is counted. Period.

However, we see that way more licenses are being consumed (about 30%). Only SPO and O4B are in use and backed up, EO is not used.

In the CV web based license report there are licensed users listed for OneDrive, that have a backup size of 0 Bytes. These unique users are not “active” users in M365. They do not consume O4B storage, in fact O4B is disallowed in M365 for these users. 

When the backup is browsed we see one top folder (My Drive) with no content.

There is only M365, no other SaaS like SFDC. My understanding is that a for all M365 workloads one unique user consumes one license.

Is there a reliable and understandable way to find out beforehand, how many user based licenses need to be purchesed? That would include a way to show that a user that has been deactivated for > 1 year, which consumes no M365 license, and where onedrive is not set up, still consumes a license.

I’ve found another thread here with a ps command:

I’m not certain, though, as this is focussing on SPO only.

icon

Best answer by Sean Crifasi 8 February 2022, 18:27

View original

If you have a question or comment, please create a topic

5 replies

Badge +5

addition: the license program guide states:

“Commvault Backup & Recovery for Mail and Cloud User Applications Licenses will be counted based on a mapping of user accounts in the associated LDAP directory, or directory of the application that dictates access to the application. In the case of direct mailbox ingestion, only the accounts that have been selected (through manual configuration or auto-discovery) for backup/archive will be counted.”

From that I conclude that in our case the Cloud App queries M365 / Azure during the discovery phase? Would that result in a list of SMTP users with “any” data, or would only “active” users be listed, as these have “access to the application”?

Confused...

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@Ingo Maus , this should answer how the licensing is calculated for O365:

You should be able to run a License Summary report with details to see who is counting for what.

Let me know if that helps!

Badge +5

Hi Mike,

you’re referring to the license program guide. This does not help as it does not go into detail e.g. for sharepoint. I’ve attached a screenshot pdf showing where we fail to map CV licenses to sharepoint / onedrive etc. Next step would be opening a support case.

Thanks again.

Userlevel 4
Badge +9

@Ingo Maus 

The following links may provide some additional detail
https://documentation.commvault.com/11.24/essential/6970_mailbox_archive_solution_components_in_usage_calculation_01.html

Special note on onedrive and sharepoint:
https://documentation.commvault.com/11.24/essential/114734_office_365_components_in_usage_calculation_01.html

Additional sharepoint info:

https://documentation.commvault.com/11.24/essential/125430_office_365_sharepoint_in_usage_calculation_01.html

Badge +5

Hi Sean,

great, thank you. I was not aware of these. I will look into it.