Solved

How to delete the "default" subclient?

Userlevel 4
Badge +15

Management has found the CommVault Cleanup Report and is reviewing it monthly to ensure I’m looking after CommVault properly.  One of the sections shows the Disabled Subclients which contains 39 entries, 29 of which are “default”.  When I go in through the java GUI, there’s no option to delete these even though there are no backups and they are not part of a schedule.

Question:  Is there a way to delete the “default” sublcient?

Ken

P.S.  The client doesn’t have a Plan within the command center nor does the default subclient. 

icon

Best answer by Brian Bruno 6 February 2023, 16:16

View original

12 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

Short answer is no, you cannot delete it, by design the iDA needs a default subclient at minimum

Does it have backup history and jobs retained due to the policy retention?

Userlevel 4
Badge +15

No there are no backups retained by this subclient.  There were never any backups taken by this subclient.  

Sigh, this means I’ll be facing “Why are there so many disabled subclient” questions until the end of time.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

I am afraid so, also tried via REST, but the system refuses the request:

Userlevel 3
Badge +10

You cannot delete the default subclient by design.

you can however promote another subclient to default and then delete the subclient that is no longer default.

Search my other profile @christopherlecky I have  a post about promoting subclients to be the default.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Good one @chrisknows 
Didn't think of community thread, here is the link to the topic:

You do need a qscript though, can someone share this qscript?

@Brian Bruno As you previously provided the script, do you still have this script available?

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Thanks for the ping @Jos Meijer,

I’ve attached the script in ZIP format as the forums won’t allow to attach .sqle file extensions. 

@Ken_H You can download the attached script and follow the instructions that I provided here.

If you have any questions or concerns, please let me know.

-Brian Bruno

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Thanks @Brian Bruno 😃👍

Userlevel 4
Badge +15

Ummm… Stupid question but:  What username / password am I supposed to use for qlogin?  I can’t seem to find one that works.

Never mind - two factor authentication was messing with me.

Userlevel 4
Badge +15

Stupid question #2:  How do I find my “Instance_Name”?

[Edit]  Because in some places I see INF-SRV57

And in other places I see INF-SRVP116

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

What is the agent type for which you want to perform the action? Filesystem, database etc.

Quote instruction:

"the i=Instance_Name can be omitted for agents that don’t leverage an Instance (such as File System).  This input is only needed for Database Agents, and any other agents that have the concept of an Instance."

Userlevel 3
Badge +10

Stupid question #2:  How do I find my “Instance_Name”?

[Edit]  Because in some places I see INF-SRV57

And in other places I see INF-SRVP116

I’ll throw together a report definition to get it for you. 

I have some things to catch up on today, so it will most likely happen tomorrow. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +15

Thanks @Brian Bruno, I’ve followed your instructions and have made one of the other subclients the default.  As @Jos Meijer noted, the instance parameter (“i=...”) is not required for a file system client.

One final note:  The Delete option was was still greyed out on the old “default” subclient immediately after the change but this was fixed by closing and restarting the java GUI. 

Thanks everyone for your help!

Ken