Solved

How to F5 load balancer configuration

• 30 June 2022
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +8

Hello All,

Is there a way to backup the F5 load balancer?

Regards

Ananth

icon

Best answer by NVFD411 1 July 2022, 14:23

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +18

Is there a way to backup the F5 load balancer?

I’m not familiar with F5 devices, but in a past life I protected the TFTP server where we would have all of our Cisco network devices upload their configurations.

Thanks,
Scott

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

@Ananth sure this is possible leveraging pre/post scripts but I would recommend you to look into something like rancid see http://shrubbery.net/rancid/

Userlevel 1
Badge +8

Hello @Onno van den Berg 

So, We need to create a script as bat file and add to fs backups as pre script, which will save the configuration file in common location and that location will be backed up by commvault?

is that what your referring to using RANCID?

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

@Ananth please look at Rancid because it delivers much more functionality.

Creating a script as a pre-post before running a FS backup would be a workaround and something that might not scale. Combing it by leveraging rancid and backup up the state of rancid or the entire VM would deliver something that scales much better and is much easier to maintain once you install0base with switches/routers grows. 

I do not think Commvault is working or will work on something native….

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

@Ananth  in my experience we would create a prescript, that would ssh over to the F5 CLI and run the tmsh save /config and then copy/sftp it over to an alternate linux host that housed other dmp/tars.  The prescript would also do validation that the backup completed and file was present on the alternate Linux server.  Then we would run a normal filesystem backup on said Linux host using CV.