How to identify whether server is physical on which CommVault is installed. For example I need to install commvault on server and need to identify that server is physical or virtual from commvault license or anything

• 20 January 2023
  • 5 replies

Badge +1

How to identify whether server is physical on which CommVault is installed. For example I need to install commvault agent on server and need to identify that server is physical or virtual from commvault license or anything.

As how many physical servers are present in my infra  on which commvault agents are installed.
Hoping for some direction from the community. 

5 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Good morning.  Can you please tell me what agent it is that you are looking to install on this client?  Is it the virtual server agent?

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

HI @sneh ,

There is no way to find out from the Console or Command Center/Web Console.

For Windows, the only way is to connect to the Server and run cmd > systeminfo

Or you can collect the logs and extract the CvDiagnostics.7z and read the systeminfo.txt

For Linux, you can run connect to the Server and run sudo dmidecode

@xxxxxxxx:~$ sudo dmidecode --type system

# dmidecode 3.2

Getting SMBIOS data from sysfs.

SMBIOS 2.8 present.

Handle 0x0100, DMI type 1, 27 bytes

System Information

Manufacturer: Red

Product Name: RHEV Hypervisor

Version: 7.8-1.el7ev

Best Regards,

Sebastien

Badge +1

Good morning.  Can you please tell me what agent it is that you are looking to install on this client?  Is it the virtual server agent?

We don't want to install any particular agent. I just want to get the info as how many Physical server are available and how many are Virtual in our infrastructure, which means its a physical machine or virtual machine. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

@sneh ,

You can use License details and Protected Virtual Instances in the License Summary Report

However you can install File System Agents on VMs.

So it will not give you exact figures.

https://documentation.commvault.com/2022e/essential/105411_protected_virtual_instances_in_license_summary_report_02.html

Badge +1

@sneh ,

You can use License details and Protected Virtual Instances in the License Summary Report

However you can install File System Agents on VMs.

So it will not give you exact figures.

https://documentation.commvault.com/2022e/essential/105411_protected_virtual_instances_in_license_summary_report_02.html

Thanks !! So i believe we wont be able to get exact value and we need to go with manually checking each server?