Solved

how to identify whether SQL plug-in is configured or not, without login and checking from SSMS on servers ?

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

how to identify whether SQL plug-in (CvSQLAddInConfig.exe) is configured or not, without login and checking from SSMS on servers ? 

icon

Best answer by Allan0105 9 September 2022, 18:46

View original

18 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Hi @Allan0105 

This is an interesting question. Just curious is there a particular need to check this? What is the situation that you need to check if it's enabled without SSMS?

There is a DLL registration that gets confirmed when enabling it, but probably the simplest way to check is the registry. SSMS has a section for plugins.

I am not certain on this might need to check with MSFT but the following location I believe has a line per addin with value of 1 for enabled. This would have to be confirmed with MSFT however.

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\verions\Tools\Shell\AddIns

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

Hi @Allan0105 

This is an interesting question. Just curious is there a particular need to check this? What is the situation that you need to check if it's enabled without SSMS?

There is a DLL registration that gets confirmed when enabling it, but probably the simplest way to check is the registry. SSMS has a section for plugins.

I am not certain on this might need to check with MSFT but the following location I believe has a line per addin with value of 1 for enabled. This would have to be confirmed with MSFT however.

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\verions\Tools\Shell\AddIns

We are doing an automation to figure it out whether plug-in is enabled or not automatically. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

@Allan0105 

Okay thanks. Does the registry information help? If you are running a query or script remotely you should be able to query the reg info. FYI the plugin is always disabled by default and needs to be registered to enable on each individual server to be enabled.

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

@Allan0105

Okay thanks. Does the registry information help? If you are running a query or script remotely you should be able to query the reg info. FYI the plugin is always disabled by default and needs to be registered to enable on each individual server to be enabled.

Nope, i am not able to find this path “HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\verions\Tools\Shell\AddIns” 

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

@Allan0105  Note the path might be slightly different depending on the version of SQL

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

@Allan0105  Note the path might be slightly different depending on the version of SQL

Hi Scott, tried couple of servers but no luck, may be am i missing the path ?

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

Hi Scott, tried couple of servers but no luck, may be am i missing the path ?

Hi @Scott Reynolds , Good Morning! any help / update on it 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@Allan0105 , hope all is well. I would suggest opening a support case for this issue at this point (and sharing the case number here so I can track it).

Let me know once you get the incident created.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@Allan0105 , following up on this one.  Were you able to get this resolved (or a case created)?

Thanks!

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

@Allan0105 , following up on this one.  Were you able to get this resolved (or a case created)?

Thanks!

Hi Mike, i missed track on this. i will get one case opened and keep you updated. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Not a problem.  Keep me posted!

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@Allan0105 , hope all is well.  Following up (gently) as I do not see a case in your name directly.

Any progress you can share on this one?

Thanks!

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

@Allan0105 , hope all is well.  Following up (gently) as I do not see a case in your name directly.

Any progress you can share on this one?

Thanks!

Hi mike, here we go 220909-458!

Have a great weekend! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

You as well!!

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

You as well!!

Below is the response from commvault engineer 

Arun,

Thank you for your patience while I researched your request. I have tested this in my lab, and also discussed with a tier 2 engineer. Unfortunately there is not a way to tell whether the plug is enabled/configured without checking in SSMS (SQL Server Management Studio). In addition, jobs launched from the plug in are seen by the Commserve in the same way as a job launched from q-commands/command line, so backups launched from the plug in could also not be filtered out of a Job Summary Report to identify clients running backups in this way.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Thank you,

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Might be worth asking if a CMR is a possibility….

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

Might be worth asking if a CMR is a possibility….

Sure! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Awesome, keep me posted!  Ideally, I want to save the CMR number in this thread for posterity.