Solved

How to turn off Automatic Discovery of SQL Availability Groups.

• 28 December 2021
  • 8 replies

Badge +1

Is there a way to turn of Automatic Discovery of SQL Availability Groups. ?

icon

Best answer by Scott Reynolds 29 December 2021, 21:20

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Hello @Nick 

This can be disabled but wondering why you would like to perform this? The benefit is the auto creation makes sure all databases are protected without issue including those with the AG. If it was disabled a failure to create the AG manually could results in missing database backups.

It can be disabled at the Commcell level using this setting set to zero.

https://documentation.commvault.com/additionalsetting/details?name=EnableAGDiscovery

This is documented but discouraged by CV.

Badge +15

You can also use the additional setting to do disable it at a client level;

https://documentation.commvault.com/additionalsetting/details?name=%22bStopAutoDiscovery%22&id=91

bStopAutoDiscovery

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

@dude  I believe that setting is for autodiscovery of databases for default subclient not AG groups and client creation which is different than OPs question.

Badge +15

@dude  I believe that setting is for autodiscovery of databases for default subclient not AG groups and client creation which is different than OPs question.

Missed that part. Oh well, it is for future reference if someone else search the forums. :grin:

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Trouble is the auto discovered AOAG name isn’t what I want it to be in the Commcell.  

It’s a quick thing to edit it but I would prefer that it doesn’t auto create so I can control what sits in my Commcell.

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

@Yuggyuy Yes, it is a quick edit.

However, there is a modification request existing to control the naming convention of the AG name during auto creation.

Badge +1

We are still discussing on whether we will or will not disable this option. Below are the currently post steps after the auto creation of the AG pseudo client.

Rename the display name, name and host name to our standards

Set the account to use for sql authenication

Set the storage policy

Set the schedule policy

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

@Nick 

You could leverage a report filtering with clients with _AGClient as they are always created with that suffix. That might help for notifications, etc

Also the AG client SP and schedule policy should take those from the nodes when the discovery occurs on the individual nodes, however if you want to change that this would be a manual step.

It might be possible for a CMR to have all auto created AG clients with specific naming convention and use X storage policy and X schedule policy would that be something that you think would be beneficial?

I think it would have to be universal so all newly created AGs would get the same policy and schedule.