Question

Hyperscale x does not detect Sandisk automatically

• 20 January 2023
  • 6 replies

Badge +1

i*m using Hyperscale x nodes that are also Vsaproxys
when adding a new Fcdisk to the node it will not be discoverd automatically.

Is there an option to let discover the Hyperscale node the SAN Disk.

..Chr 

6 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +7

Hi Chr…

HS-X is build on Linux OS, therefore you need to rescan the scsibus to discover/create new devices.

automatic scan is only done during reboot or when mapping a new target, but not a new LUN.

try something like :

scan-scsi-bus.sh -r -f -m -w –hosts=$(cd /sys/class/fc_host;ls -xd *|sed -e ‘s/ /,/g’)

this re-scans the targets connect to FC Hosts only.
If you map LUNs with very high LUN IDs, you might also need to modify the 
/etc/default/grub and for LUN support of up to 4096 LUNS, add scsi_mod.max_luns=4096 to the GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX parameter

I also created a workflow, that daily runs this scsi-scan on all HS-X Nodes to update the SCSI configuration, in case new LUNs have been introduced.

Klaus

Badge +1

would this be an option

copy the rescan-scsi-bus.sh script to the /etc/cron.daily/

Userlevel 2
Badge +11

i*m using Hyperscale x nodes that are also Vsaproxys
when adding a new Fcdisk to the node it will not be discoverd automatically.

Is there an option to let discover the Hyperscale node the SAN Disk.

..Chr 

Hi, I believe that soon I will face the same situation. I would like to confirm your scenario.

When you say that HSX does not see the LUNs automatically, is this during a backup operation? I believe you are using SAN transport mode, right?

You'll have to manually go to the HSX nodes and scan the SCSI bus everytime there's a backup operation?

Userlevel 2
Badge +11

Hi Chr…

HS-X is build on Linux OS, therefore you need to rescan the scsibus to discover/create new devices.

automatic scan is only done during reboot or when mapping a new target, but not a new LUN.

try something like :

scan-scsi-bus.sh -r -f -m -w –hosts=$(cd /sys/class/fc_host;ls -xd *|sed -e ‘s/ /,/g’)

/etc/default/grub and for LUN support of up to 4096 LUNS, add scsi_mod.max_luns=4096 to the GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX parameter

I also created a workflow, that daily runs this scsi-scan on all HS-X Nodes to update the SCSI configuration, in case new LUNs have been introduced.

Klaus

Hi Klaus,

Is this a supported solution? I mean, customizing those steps would interfere with support? Shouldn't this be ready from factory? It looks like a workaround...

Userlevel 2
Badge +11

Hi Chr…

try something like :

Klaus

Hello Klaus, can you share how you created that workflow to execute the rescan in the HSX nodes?

Userlevel 1
Badge +13

@Chr... 

is the below worked for you ?

would this be an option

copy the rescan-scsi-bus.sh script to the /etc/cron.daily/