Solved

iData agent on VM consumes OI license

Badge +7

Hello,

Problem: One of VMs with iData agent installed consumes OI license instead of vOI.

Installed software: File System core, File System, Oracle. 

No such problems with other VMs with similar software components installed.

Could you please suggest direction to look?

Thanks in advance!

icon

Best answer by AndresL 1 August 2022, 14:00

View original

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@AndresL , if you are out of vOI, then the agent will consume an OI.  can you check the free available count?

Thanks!

Badge +7

@AndresL , if you are out of vOI, then the agent will consume an OI.  can you check the free available count?

Thanks!

A lot of free vOI available.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@AndresL , check this as well:

https://documentation.commvault.com/11.26/essential/114664_virtual_operating_instances_in_license_summary_report_02.html

VMs are included in the virtual operating instances calculation, regardless of the hypervisor type. VMs must have the Commvault File System package (not the File System Core package) installed to consume the VOI license.

Badge +7

Thank you, I already saw this KB. As I mentioned above File System package already installed, but it doesn't help. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Would you be able to share the license summary report entries for the problematic client as well as ones that work right?  You can edit out the names for security. 

if those above items are not the causes, then I want to really confirm there’s an issue (and not just us being confused). 

if you aren’t comfortable sharing that, then open a support case and let me know the incident number so I can track it accordingly!

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@AndresL , were you able to get this resolved?

Thanks!

Badge +7

Hello,

Sorry for delay.

Yes, we opened case, and support found that VM lacks DMIDecode tool, which is used to detect hypervisor and etc.

DMIDecode installation on VM resolved the issue. 

Thank you for help!

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

@AndresL do you mean Commvault requires an external package to be installed on Linux systems before it actually can determine if it runs virtualized or not? if that is the case why is Commvault not reporting this back that it cannot determine this by generating an event that can be seen in Command Center….

Badge +7

@AndresL do you mean Commvault requires an external package to be installed on Linux systems before it actually can determine if it runs virtualized or not?

Answer: Yes

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

@AndresL do you mean Commvault requires an external package to be installed on Linux systems before it actually can determine if it runs virtualized or not?

Answer: Yes

@Mike Struening what's your opinion about this? I would say or make sure it is bundles with the FS agent or make sure it is raised as an event in Command Center.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

That’s definitely odd, @Onno van den Berg .  It’s not like we don’t install necessary libraries for other agents/features.

From reviewing the case notes, it sounds like it should have been there, but was missing.

I’ll confirm with the owner.