Solved

Identify hot/cool/archive usage in Azure easily

• 30 December 2021
  • 3 replies

Badge +1

I hope this is simple to answer for someone.  I looked in the Azure portal but was unable to find what I was looking for.

We’re new to using Azure archive for our secondary copies, and the billing seems higher than expected.  Actual billing is showing about five times higher than estimates.  We’re wondering if some data is in hot or cool rather than archive.  Is there an easy way to identify what is in hot, cool, and archive by a chart or something in the portal?

icon

Best answer by Mike Struening RETIRED 6 January 2022, 16:13

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Hi @kevcor 

Thanks for the question, I’ll reference a few different resources here for you to check out.

Commvault - Cloud Storage Building Block Guide

Commvault - Planning Archive Storage Tiers

Commvault - Managing Cloud Storage

Commvault - Modifying the Storage Class for an Existing Cloud Library

Note: When the bucket is modified to a new storage class, new data will be stored using the new storage class. Existing data will always remain in the old storage class.

Commvault - Migrating Data Between the Storage Classes in a Cloud Storage Library

Note: To migrate existing data to a new storage class, contact the storage vendor and follow the steps recommended by the specific storage vendor.

New data can be backed up to the changed storage class by modifying the storage class in the library.

Microsoft Azure - Set a blob’s access tier

The section for Upload a blob to the default tier shows a screenshot for Dashboard > Storage accounts > [storage_account] > [container] and will show the access tier for items for you to check.

Individual items within a storage account can reside in different tiers, so there doesn’t seem to be a way or an overview to show this simply, you’ll need to check the details for storage accounts.

I hope that helps!

Thanks have a Happy New Year!

Stuart

Badge +1

Individual items within a storage account can reside in different tiers, so there doesn’t seem to be a way or an overview to show this simply, you’ll need to check the details for storage accounts.

I saw that individual items will list their tier, but I was hoping to find a chart or something that broke out tier usage by item count or storage usage.  How are we supposed to keep MS honest on our billing?  Right now we either have items in hot that we don’t want there or we’re not being billed correctly.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@kevcor , have you look at the explorer tool they provide?  I can see that their tier is mentioned, though I don’t know how deep you can explore to see what is where by item (though storage is listed).

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/vs-azure-tools-storage-manage-with-storage-explorer?toc=%2Fazure%2Fstorage%2Fblobs%2Ftoc.json&tabs=windows

I admittedly do not have any experience with Microsoft Azure Storage Explorer, though!