Solved

Index V2 Backup - Can I force a V2 Indexing Checkpoint (Consolidation) at a time of my choosing

• 15 December 2022
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi

I’d like to ‘guarantee’ a Full copy of the V2 Index Database at a time just after the end of month full backups have run/completed

The purpose being to send the End of Month Full backups to a specific ‘box’ of tapes, that are sent to Iron Mountain, but within that Box is a standalone Index Database backup

Mainly to achieve a standalone ‘DR’ set of tapes, with no requirement to have any ‘copies’ of the Index Database on disk or any requirement to reconstruct  the index ‘from tape’

Can I manually ‘force’ this to then get a ‘complete’ Index Database, which is then sent to Tape

icon

Best answer by Collin Harper 16 December 2022, 19:25

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Hello @YYZ 

Index Backups work differently than regular backups. The index databases only get backed up if:
1) They haven’t been backed up in 7 days  (or)  2) 100,000 new objects have been added into the index.

You can run a backup for the Index Server PseduoClient but that won’t guarantee the IDX Database for a specific GUID will be backed up.

Index Backup Operations (Indexing Version 2) - https://documentation.commvault.com/11.26/expert/10784_index_backup_operations_indexing_version_2.html

Thank you,
Collin

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi Colin

Thanks  - I’d like to move away from the 7 days, Thousands of Object ‘criteria’ (where the system chooses when the Logs will be consildated into the Index Database)

I’d like an option to  manually trigger the consolidation.

The purpose being to have a standalone / complete Index Database at a given point in time

Reason being:

1. Perform a fullset end of month backup to Tape
  2. When the backups are complete, force consolidation on the Index database
  3. Aux that ‘complete’ Index database onto the same tape set as the end of Months so there is no reliance on the Index Database on disk, storage or the need to reconstruct the index

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Hello @YYZ 

Unfortunately there is no way to change these criteria. Since indexing is very crucial to the health and recoverability of backups, Development doesn’t allow many things about indexing to be changed\modified. The backup criteria are an example of something that cannot be changed to prevent other issues from occurring.

As long as the aux copy is caught up you should have a “standalone” DR copy of the index available in case of a DR scenario.

Thank you,
Collin