Question

IntelliSnap backup without copy

• 29 November 2022
  • 11 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +12

Hello,

Can i make IntelliSnap backup without copy to the storage? 

11 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Hello @Egor Skepko 

yes, it’s possible to setup IntelliSnap snapshots without performing backup copy job to storage. This would result in just having a snapshot - so this should be carefully reviewed, as there would be no other copy except of the Snapshot and if array is damaged in some disaster event, all snapshots on this array would be lost.

Once you add Snapshot copy to the storage policy, there will be a Snapshot tab available on Storage policy properties and there you can uncheck ‘Backup Copy’ checkbox. Here’s a documentation link which provides more information about available options- regarding Backup Copy. 

Storage Policy (Snapshot) (commvault.com)

Best Regards,

Marcin

Userlevel 1
Badge +12

@Marcin Dziewanowski Thanks for the reply, 5 min ago i found this option on Storage Policy prop.

Yes i am aware of this. The issue is that i am using IntelliSnap with a presnap script to freeze the database and a postsnap script to mount the snap on another client . The freeze duration needs to be a max of 9 minutes. In 9 min i need to make snap backup to the storage and from the storage the same snap needs to be mounted on another client for new snap backup. Sometime duration of snap back more then 9 min. The total job duration is sometimes more than 9 minutes, while the actual snap backup is less. Can I limit the total job duration to less than 9 minutes?

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

@Egor Skepko You can set a total job runtime on any schedule or individual job

https://documentation.commvault.com/2022e/expert/6321_setting_total_running_time.html

Userlevel 1
Badge +12

@Scott Reynolds Thank you Scott i knew it, but then the job wil be terminated after runtime when its not completed. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

@Egor Skepko The time it takes to perform the snapshot (freeze, etc and complete) is based on the hardware. Commvault is not controlling that its how quickly the array responds to the query to take the snapshot. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +12

@Scott Reynolds Thank you 

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

@Egor Skepko :  If you have backed NetApp, you can configure Snapshot (IntelliSnap for backup) and Snap Mirror (IntelliSnap for DR). This will off the manual method you are using and should ease lot of your issues. 

-Zubair

Userlevel 1
Badge +12

@Zubair Ahmed Sharief  Thank you for the explamation, do you have any manual how to do it ? 

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

Hello @Egor Skepko 

Please check out the below link from documentation

Getting Started with Commvault IntelliSnap for NetApp

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

I recommend you  also take a look at the following setting if you are planning on using Intellisnap without backup copies:

Include Snap Jobs for Met SLA if Backup Copy and SnapVault Copy are not enabled

Configuring SLA and Strike Options at the CommCell Level (commvault.com)

Userlevel 1
Badge +12

@Steven R Ok thanks i wil take a look.