Intellisnap / CommVault snapshot copy mirror to offsite NetApp storage cluster

• 2 April 2021
  • 4 replies

Badge +1

We converted from Intellisnap to CommVault for support. 

We have been using the Storage Policy Snapshot Copy of type Mirror to selectively copy from Vault volumes to snap mirror volumes at an offsite NetApp storage cluster. 

We were told that Mirror Snapshot Copies were no longer supported in future service packs.

We’ve had issues where the Mirror became stale or broken.  My boss, a NetApp guru ripped out the snapshot mirror storage policy and created snap mirrors by hand.  But he’s retiring and we are trying to get back to a more automated and monitored CommVault managed process.

Does anyone have familiarity and can explain what CommVault convention is being used to provide some sort of DR capability from Vault to a Snap Mirror located on an offsite NetApp cluster in the current service packs?

4 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

Would it be possible to take that snap, then have have a dash copy as a storage policy direct to that storage? I do something similar with our hyperscales. We snap the SAN( compellant) and then send the snap to a storage mount within our media agent. The jobs run as a secondary backup copy job in the workflo

Badge +1

Would it be possible to take that snap, then have have a dash copy as a storage policy direct to that storage? I do something similar with our hyperscales. We snap the SAN( compellant) and then send the snap to a storage mount within our media agent. The jobs run as a secondary backup copy job in the workflo

Well NetApp has some nice features that enable snapshots and snap mirrors.  So I’m hoping to hear from people with NetApp as the backend storage.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Converting this thread to a conversation (vs. a question) to get more of our members to join in.

Badge +15

@Damion Terrell  I will try to share a bit of my experience and I would also recommend you to review this thread: 

So to start your clusters lets call A and B would have to be peered to snapmirrors between site A and B. Snapmirror relationships would have to be configured and once that is done, make sure that there is no snapshot schedule configured or mirror schedules on the NetApp side since you will essentially be doing all of that from Commvault. You really just need a relationship.

Once that is established, you would need a snapshot copy where your snaps are going to be taken from Cluster A (Primary Cluster) then a secondary copy (Snapvault) where you would copy snapshots from Cluster A to Cluster B.

Once all of that fun is completed, you can then associate your Primary Copy to use either your Snapshot Copy or Snapshot depending on where your long term disk library is located.

Review my post above and let us know if you have questions.