Solved

IntelliSnap on Exadata (Oracle)

Userlevel 1
Badge +8

Hello All,

Do we support IntelliSnap over the oracle database running on Exadata?

If yes, what is the system requirements? is there any documentation link which i can refer to specific to Exadata

Regards

Ananth

icon

Best answer by Jos Meijer 23 May 2022, 12:13

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

I doubt this is supported, this is a database appliance.
With appliances this is often not the case due to local resources only.
I don't expect to see array LUN's presented on the appliance, but hopefully I am wrong..
Additionally documentation stated “MediaAgents cannot be installed on Exadata database machines” which indicates that at least the node it self is incapable of managing snapshot activities, at best a dedicated MA will be able to if LUN's are presented.

Userlevel 1
Badge +8

Hello @Jos Meijer 

Thanks for the response.

In that case how will be able to achieve IntelliSnap if the oracle database in on Exadata? Could you please elaborate more.

Regards

Ananth

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Can you verify if there are array LUN's present?
If so the array can be configured as you would in a normal sense and use Intellisnap as you would with array config. Now I think about it you could be facing a ZFS Storage Appliance as underlying storage array, this is not uncommon with Exadata, if this is the case you will probably need to have this array configured, please find image for dependencies:

Source: https://documentation.commvault.com/11.24/expert/37169_supported_hardware_storage_arrays.html

If not and only local disks are present I don't see how we can leverage Intellisnap.