Solved

Is duduplicated data associated with a backupset?

• 9 June 2023
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +10

I’m wanting to manually “clone” subclients from 1 backupset to another (on a different client). I’m wondering if this will affect the data on storage.  I’m planning on making all the new subclient settings as identical as I can to the old ones (using same storage policies, backing up the same data, subclient name is the same, etc).

Basically: I don’t want to blow up all my remaining DDB or storage space by having commvault think “this is new data” at the DDB or storage level, as its “the same data” just now being backed up from a different client.  Or, I guess, blowing something else up like index cache space.

icon

Best answer by Scott Moseman 9 June 2023, 18:25

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +18

Data is unique to each BackupSet.  If you protect the data using a different BackupSet, especially on a different Client, is going to be processed as “new” data.

From a Licensing perspective, the data above would be counted twice assuming it’s being protected across two different BackupSets.

From the Storage consumption, assuming they’re both using the same DDB, the data will dedupe well and not consume much extra space.

Thanks,
Scott

Userlevel 2
Badge +10

oof… thanks! I was afraid of that, but with that info I now know what path(s) I want to take to reconfigure/move things around.

Userlevel 6
Badge +18

Remember you can Disable Activity or Release License for the original Subclients after you setup the new Subclients and it will not count against your licensing but will remain available for restores.  I’m assuming you’re not wanting to continue protecting the same data in two different places.

Thanks,
Scott

Userlevel 2
Badge +10

Remember you can Disable Activity or Release License for the original Subclients after you setup the new Subclients and it will not count against your licensing but will remain available for restores.  I’m assuming you’re not wanting to continue protecting the same data in two different places.

Thanks,
Scott

correct: it would be to only backup the data from 1 subclient, and the license on the old one would be released, and eventually the old client the subclients were all attached to would have its license released as well just not deleted, which would delete the backupset. Even though we have the data ultimately on tapes we like to keep the delicensed/deconfigured clients around for a *long* time so we can at least browse the backup history and find the associated tapes without having to do DR commserve DB restores just to access deleted client backup history (to then locate the associated tapes).