Solved

Is Windows File System backup of a Mediaagent disabled?

• 1 July 2021
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

I manage a new, hardened CV11.20 environment with 2 physical Windows MediaAgents (MAs) running Windows 2019 LTSC with the CommServe and VADP proxies as VMs.

The backupset and default subclient under each MA are greyed out and I don’t have the option to create a new subclient, so I expect this behaviour is as designed.  I’ve used CV for 13 years and have previously protected the C: drive, app drive and system state as a backup job with no issues (and special filters for log dir etc.).

DDB backups run reliably on the MA. Under the default subclient on the control tab Backup is enabled and I’m performing all changes as a member of the master group.

When I try to run a backup the only option is a synthetic full where I get the error "Failed to run task. no associations exist" - obviously since a backup has never run. But the options to take a full/incremental/differential backup don’t exist.

There is no list of jobs under backup history for the default subclient.

I have ransomware protection enabled on the MAs.

I’ve reviewed the available documentation online and I guess I’m missing something obvious since this looks like as-designed special behaviour for MAs.

There are references to restoring MAs if they’ve had a successful backup but no mention of special handling of the default subclient.

I’d like some guidance as we’re about to make changes to the MAs and I’d like a roll-back option.

icon

Best answer by Aplynx 1 July 2021, 22:48

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

Can you right click on it to reconfigure (add the license) to the WinFS? That should activate the objects after refreshing.

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

Thanks Liam,

I didn’t realise the WFS license was deconfigured on the MA.  The reconfigure operation allowed me to run the backup including the system state.

Thanks for your help! :grin:

Badge +2

So I stumbled across this as I ran into a similar situation.  Can someone explain why this is the default behavior for MA’s?  Would rather have the underlying file system backed up as well, not just the DB.