Solved

Isilon folder shared out via CIFS and NFS

• 26 July 2022
  • 1 reply

Badge +1

I have a large isilon appliance that needs to be backedup.  There are folders that are shared out simultaneously via CIFS and NFS.  If I need to restore a file, how do make sure the CIFS and NFS permissions are ok.

I know ndmp handles this just fine.  I am curious how to accomplish protecting the file permission in the Windows world (CIFS) and the linux world (NFS).

icon

Best answer by Damian Andre 26 July 2022, 08:24

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hi @jbyrne,

To capture the CIFS share, use a windows file system agent which will also capture the permissions as well. For NFS you’ll need to use a linux file system agent instead, as it understands the intricacies (and permissions) of NFS. At restore time there is a checkbox that allows you to restore with or without the ACLs/Permissions.

There is a whitepaper on backing up CIFS/SMB and NFS shares. Why it doesn't discuss this topic in detail, it does make mention of it:

Some advantages in using Commvault software’s NAS client with CIFS/NFS support include:  End user security support using backup of Windows (ACL) or UNIX (Permissions). Appropriate end user permissions are necessary when browsing or restoring individual data files via Commvault’s Web Console interface.