Solved

Java on Commvault

• 27 April 2021
  • 5 replies

Badge +3

Hello,

My Commvault environment is v11 SP16.

On a lot of my servers, Java is installed in C:\Program Files\Java.

Does Commvault rely on this or does it use the JRE within the ContentStore folder?

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Fergus

icon

Best answer by Stuart Painter 27 April 2021, 15:26

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Hi @Fergus 

Thanks for the question and welcome to the Community!

It is expected that Commvault uses the JRE installed within the ContentStore folder, so the version installed in Program Files is likely from another application on those servers.

I have found a useful indicator to check the java version used by the WebConsole Tomcat service, in the InstallTomcat.log. 

This log snippet produced by filtering the InstallTomcat.log for all lines containing Java:

JAVA_HOME: 
Java Executable Path: C:\Program Files\Commvault\ContentStore\jre\bin
C:\Program Files\Commvault\ContentStore\Base\tools>java.exe -Dlogback.configurationFile="file:/C:\Program Files\Commvault\ContentStore\Base\tools\logback.xml" -Dcatalina.logpath="C:\Program Files\Commvault\ContentStore\Log Files" -cp ;./* commvault.web.setup.CleanLibraries -instance=Instance001
Using JAVA_HOME: "C:\Program Files\Commvault\ContentStore\Apache\..\jre"
Configuring start-up parameters for java 9+
JAVA_HOME:
C:\Program Files\Commvault\ContentStore\Base\tools>java.exe -Dlogback.configurationFile="file:/C:\Program Files\Commvault\ContentStore\Base\tools\logback.xml" -Dcatalina.logpath="C:\Program Files\Commvault\ContentStore\Log Files" -cp ;./* commvault.web.setup.CleanLibraries -instance=Instance001
JAVA_HOME:
JAVA_HOME:
Configuring start-up parameters for java 9+

Of course, InstallTomcat.log will only be found on Commserve, WebConsole, etc. and won’t be found on all Commvault clients, but gives a good idea.

Thanks,

Stuart

Badge +3

Thanks very much Stuart, you’ve answered my question.

Regards

Fergus

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Hello Fergus,

Commvault can use either the installed Java applet or the applet bundled with Commvault. I have found the following paths in use for launching the Java Console;

"C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.8.0_261\bin\javaws.exe"

&

"C:\Program Files\Commvault\ContentStore\jre\bin\javaw.exe" -jar "C:\Program Files\Commvault\ContentStore\GUI\cv.jar" localhost

You can confirm this by right clicking the Commcell Console shortcut on the desktop → Properties → Check the “Target” path

>Is the concern if you can uninstall the Java application? 

You can upgrade Java (only for SP16) using this KB article (if needed) : http://kb.commvault.com/article/57019

>Additionally, Java is no longer supporting “Java Web Start”. As such, in newer media we user “OpenJDK JRE” (java developer kit). You can find further information on this in the following link: https://documentation.commvault.com/11.21/essential/1479_announcements.html

>As of SP17, JRE OpenJDK 11.0.3 is installed by default as a third party app: https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11_sp17/article?p=121377.htm

==

Please let me know if you find this information helpful. We would be happy to help should you have any further questions or concerns. 

Badge +3

Hi Christian,

I’ve checked the target on the shortcut and it points to the jre folder in ContentStore.

I’m happy now that i can remove the other Java install from my Commvault servers.

Thanks for your help.

Regards

Fergus

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Hi Christian,

I’ve checked the target on the shortcut and it points to the jre folder in ContentStore.

I’m happy now that i can remove the other Java install from my Commvault servers.

Thanks for your help.

Regards

Fergus

Correct, if we are using the JRE package from Commvault, you should be safe to uninstall the Java application.