Solved

Linux 1-touch recover, exclude LUNs which are attached to the source server

• 12 January 2023
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

Hello,

We have running a Linux Database server (Oracle), the database data is sitting on LUNs on NetApp. Now in a case of hardware failure or any ransomware attack, we need recover the system with 1-touch recovery.

We found issue to exclude the LUNs with 1-touch recovery.

we created an autoanswer file, with (1-touch recover points), in the guy we are not able to unselect volumes which are coming from LUNs.

During the recovery procedure it stops with error in the 2. stage, error: not enough space selected for restore.

This was for a restore test to a virtual machine!

In real scenario, to restore the server back to physical hardware, I see a similar issue a as we using VLAN tagging on our network. So we will not have our storage LAN online, which bring the LUNs to the server, so we need again to bring first only the OS back online, and configure then the LUNs.

we are use:

Linux Redhat 7.9

CommVault V11SP28.36 (E2022)

regards Juergen

icon

Best answer by Orazan 12 January 2023, 15:31

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Good morning.  Taking a look at the documentation, it looks like the information under the “Client” section may be relevant to  your situation:

https://documentation.commvault.com/2022e/expert/3454_1_touch_for_linux_system_requirements_01.html\

iSCSI disks are not supported for 1-Touch. These disks need to be manually unselected during interactive restores if any iSCSI disks are backed up.

[FCoE (Fibre Channel over Ethernet) is not supported.

I am discussing your question with one of my Unix SMEs but need to get a bit more information.  Can you please tell me if this is FCoE or iSCSI?

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

Hello @Orazan 

thanks for looking into this.

We have iSCSI LUNs in place.

If I right understand, I cannot use an auto answer file to run the 1-touch recovery, I need to go through the interactive restoration process, which is much less comfortable.

But for “virtualize me” process it should work with iSCSI LUNs, it will be converted to “virtual disks”, right?

OK, I will take a test restore with interactive restoration.

thanks

regards Juergen

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Thank you for the quick reply.  You are correct in your assessment. 

ttps://documentation.commvault.com/2022e/expert/53981_options_1_touch_for_linux.html

Selected

Select the check box in this column to select a mount point. The selected mount point will be added to the virtual machine. You can select only system mount points and add the non-system mount points later.

Recover To

Use this wizard to create the response file for the client computer which you want to recover. A response file saves the client configuration, which can be used later for Non-interactive 1-Touch Recovery.

Please let me know how things go.

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

Hello @Orazan,

thanks you, I got my answer

regards Juergen

Userlevel 3
Badge +6

I would recommend putting any filesystems that are not local disk in a separate backupset. 1-Touch does a restore at the backupset level, so anything in the selected backupset is going to be restored during recovery.

In doing so you don’t have to worry about deselecting mount points during recovery. If you do want some of that data restored to local disk, you can always follow up with a standard FS restore after the system is online.