Solved

M365 - on-premise AccessNode - using web proxy ?

• 22 July 2022
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +7

Hi guys,

is there a way to use a web proxy to backup Exchange/Sharepoint/Onedrive Online ?
since only https connections are used, it should be possible to forward backup requests to a web proxy instead of place am AccessNode in the DMZ.

I cannot find any hints for that in BOL

BR
Klaus

icon

Best answer by Scott Reynolds 22 July 2022, 17:42

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Hello @johanningk 

I believe this is possible with an internet proxy.

Note this must be run as system

You would not configure anything different in commvault but we must set the server to use the proxy so when we run the powershell commands the proxy is used:

Downloaded PSTools

PsExec - Windows Sysinternals | Microsoft Docs

Open command prompt as admin

Changed the directory to where the PSTools is extracted to and ran the following command:
PSExec.exe -i -s -d cmd.exe

file

Changed the directory to c:\program Files\Internet Explorer\ and open Internet explorer

Changed the configuration on the Internet explorer to run using the Proxy server specified Destination ip and port.

file

This sets the proxy settings for the machines system account so that when we initiate commands as system account it has the proxy config

Userlevel 1
Badge +7

Hi Scott,

this nearly worked.
Unfortunately the IIS on the CommServe (not the CommandCenter), still tries to communicate directly with Microsoft’s login portal, when setting up the configuration.
All later backup traffic was able to use the proxies.

we finally had to provide direct access to the login portals for the CommServe to successfully setup the M365 backups.

BR
Klaus

Badge

Hello,

please I would like to reopen this question. Did anyone succeed to use proxy server for accessing O365 on-premise Access Node? There is no option to configure proxy inside O365 plugin. And the one configured in “Connections” is not working and global proxy netsh also not working….. Thank you.