Solved

Make backup/restore functions via WebUI user friendly for customers.

Userlevel 4
Badge +15

Hi, 

We are currently in the process of making the Commvault environment more usable for customers. 
The administration of the individual systems in Commvault is to be managed via Active Directory. 
We include the AD groups in Commvault and create in Client Computer Groups per AD group a group with the name of the AD group. 
All systems from the VSA data backup pools are linked into the group. 
The main portal for the clients will be the WebUI. 
Now I have linked a VM from the VSA subclient to the group of an AD for this project and it looks like it could work. But currently I can only restore the last backup of a VM. For backups a few days ago, the "Restore" button is grayed out.

Has anyone here already made experiences or perhaps a better suggestion, how this could be better implemented?

Regards

Thomas

icon

Best answer by Damian Andre 26 July 2021, 20:01

View original

23 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hi @Mike Struening

We need to use the VSA and Indexing V2. Our current environment still uses V1. Our service provider has advised us to upgrade our test environment to 11.24 and run some tests here. If everything works, we should update our production environment to 11.24 as well. 
I guess that when we update to 11.24, version 2 of VSA and Indexing will be applied automatically. 

Hi Thomas,

VSA does not automatically migrate to V2 indexing, only when you create a new virtualization client will V2 get enabled on that new client. Its a complete overhaul of the framework, so there is no in-place migration, but there is a migration workflow that will copy all the settings from your original client to the new client to allow a more seamless transition. The jobs will not migrate over, so they will hang around on the old client until meeting retention.

You can read up more on the workflow here: 
https://documentation.commvault.com/11.24/expert/139052_migration_of_virtualization_clients_to_indexing_version_2.html

Here is a feature comparison: 
https://documentation.commvault.com/11.24/expert/114107_comparison_of_vsa_and_vm_centric_vsa.html

If you have more questions on V2, lets create a new thread and we will be happy to help you out!

Userlevel 4
Badge +15

Hi @Mike Struening

We need to use the VSA and Indexing V2. Our current environment still uses V1. Our service provider has advised us to upgrade our test environment to 11.24 and run some tests here. If everything works, we should update our production environment to 11.24 as well. 
I guess that when we update to 11.24, version 2 of VSA and Indexing will be applied automatically. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hey @thomas.S , gentle follow up.  How are things looking?

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Thanks for the update @thomas.S !  I’ll keep an eye out for your reply.

Userlevel 4
Badge +15

Hi @Mike Struening

We have initiated a change process internally. 
Next week on Tuesday we will update the Commvault environment and hope to solve the problem.
If the problem persists after the update we will be able to open a ticket. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hey @thomas.S !  Hope all is well.

Following up to see if you were able to get an incident created (and if so, what the case number is).

Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Absolutely, we have a pretty solid list various changes and updates on our docs. 

https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11_sp20/article?p=11_20_46.htm

Granted, it is possible that some slight change is responsible, or that there’s an actual problem (I found this one item which sounds related, but when I read the internal docs on this update, they refer to groups not refreshing in the GUI, but nothing about not being able to restore from jobs.

Default VMGroups for Virtualization clients created from Commcell Console may not be visible immediately on Command Center

I don’t think the version difference is at play here.  I would definitely mention it to the support engineer that you DO have a working environment, etc. 

Share the ticket number once created so I can track it :sunglasses:

Userlevel 4
Badge +15

Our service provider also had an update as an initial suggestion.
But shouldn't it be possible to find out about such changes via the release notes from Commvault ?
Such changes should be documented.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

I don’t want to discount the possibility, though I would say that’s a rather minor difference (and off the top of my head, I’m not aware of any striking differences).

I would suggest upgrading the prod environment to the same just to remove it as a possibility.

Let me know the CV case number once you have it.

Thanks!!

Userlevel 4
Badge +15

For our production environment we have version 11.20.40 in use and for the dev environment we have version 11.20.46.
I would need to open a case through our service provider as we currently cannot open one directly with Commvault. 

I think I will do this and if I get any new information I will document it here.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

That’s definitely a curious case!!  Getting the obvious out of the way first, are both environments on the same version?  any major differences?

Aside from that, I would suggest opening a support case.  This definitely warrants a close inspection, especially since you have 2 differing experiences with the same features!

If you do, let me know the case number so I can follow up accordingly :sunglasses:

Userlevel 4
Badge +15

Hello, 

it took me a while but I was able to find something. We have built a dev environment for Commvault. I have included a few clients for testing and have seen that the new dev environment behaves differently than the production.
We need a way for clients to restore their own backups. (VSA, File Agent, Database Agent)
The VSA backups are grouped in a subclient and backed up overnight. The problem was that when the customer sees his backups in the Command Center, he only sees the Agent backups. 
However, the dev environment also shows for each client if there is a VSA backup. Once a VSA backup of the VM is created the subclient of the VM also shows Virtual Server.
I don't know why the production reacts differently than the dev environment.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hey @thomas.S !  Gentle follow up to see if you’ve had time to take this up again.

Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Appreciate the update.  I’ll keep an eye out for you!

Userlevel 4
Badge +15

Hi @Mike Struening , 

The case has been put on hold for the time being. We will take up the topic again in the next few months, but at the moment we have another topic to work on first. 

Thanks.

Thomas

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@thomas.S following up to see if you ever got an incident or answer for this one.

Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@thomas.S following up on this issue.  Were you able to get a case created?  If so, can you share the case number with me?

Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@thomas.S no need to apologize!  We’re here for you at your convenience!

At this point, it might be best to open a support case and we can then bring the resolution back here.

I suspect that the vm itself wasn’t backed up in all of those jobs (or not successfully), but without having someone looking at it live, I can’t say for sure.

Can you share back the case number?  You can pm me the details if you’d rather do it that way.

Userlevel 4
Badge +15

Hi @Mike Struening

dmdev01 is the name of the VM. This is backed up in the EWS-60-AKQ subclient with many other VMs. For this reason the sizes are also so different.
The VM dmdev01 is backed up with about 20 other VMs. 
I have linked the one VM only with a separate group to prevent that only the VM which also belongs to the customer can be seen and not also the remaining VMs in the subclient EWS-60-AKQ.
Sorry that I am always so late in answering, but there is a lot going on at the moment.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hey @thomas.S !  Following up to see if you were able to narrow down the issue here based on our observations.

Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Appreciate the details!

Can you confirm if dmdev01 is the name of the VSA proxy, or is that the name of the VM?

One thing that stands out is the time and size of the jobs.  The one you CAN restore from is nearly 10 times the size of the other jobs which leads me to think the vm you are looking for was not protected within those jobs (maybe they are Incrementals and the vm was off/unchanged during that time)?

If that’s not the case, we may need an incident here.

Userlevel 4
Badge +15

Hi @Mike Struening , 

I have made a few screenshots here where you can see the permission settings and the backups. 
I can restore the VM via the restore button. But not if I want to select a backup from 1 or 2 days ago.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@thomas.S , would you mind posting screenshots of each of the items above?  Are you in Command Center or the Console?

Do you know for sure that the vm was backed up on those days?  or that the job hasn’t aged?

Thanks!!