Solved

MS SQL restore options

• 10 January 2022
  • 15 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

Hi, in the advanced restore options in BOL.

https://documentation.commvault.com/11.24/expert/34600_restoring_sql_server_data_with_exclusive_database_access_option.html

It says : Restore of database fails if exclusive access to database cannot be obtained. In such scenarios use the Drop Connections to Database option to drop all existing connections to the database. By default this option is set to false.

But at my customer this option is enabled by default ! 

Where can you change this to OFF by default ?

Thank you,

icon

Best answer by Scott Reynolds 18 January 2022, 16:17

View original

15 replies

Badge +15

Looks like to be a Advanced Key in the CS

https://documentation.commvault.com/v11/expert/61506_advanced_restore_options_options.html

Take a look

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

Yes I’m aware of this options  bEnableAdvancedRestoreOptionsMSSql , but what we have experience after this options has been enable, the check box for : Drop Connections to Database option is selected by default even if we disable the additional setting !

Badge +15

You are correct, just tested on my side and no matter what, the option is automatically checked. I will keep looking but we may have to wait for the experts here.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hey @Marco Lachance , I’ll follow up with the internal folks I want to involve here.

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Hello @Marco Lachance 

In this case you are using the browse from the client machine. If you are performing in place its set to true by default in the restore options. However if you browse from the instance and use the simplified restore options, selecting out of place or advanced does it still show as enabled?

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

Hi @Scott Reynolds 

I just validate with my customer and :

If you use either In Place or Out of Place, we don’t have the advanced option tab, so we can see if the Drop Connections to Database option is set to True !

And if we used the Advanced options, the option is selected by default !

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

@Marco Lachance  I am looking into this concern. I should get back to you today with more info.

Scott

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

@Marco Lachance 

Just to add here. I am seeing the same in FR24 lab setup. I believe this was changed when we implemented the new simplified restore options. That Documentation link will need to be updated and we will create a DOC MR to get that fixed once I can confirm on the behavior and expectations.

One question for you. Is this something that the customer just noticed, or do they have any concerns about this option being enabled by default? Generally, if restoring in place you would still need to manually select unconditional overwrite option as well to overwrite live data.

Badge +15

@Scott Reynolds I just tested the same option on a CS 11.20 and the box is checked by default. Documentation has probably been like that for a long time.

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

@dude Thanks for confirming in FR20. Yes, I would agree that particular link is buried within the snapshot functions.

I have already opened a documentation MR to get this corrected.

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

@Scott Reynolds @dude 

OK, so it is possible to have this option Disable by Default through a Reg Key ?

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

@Scott Reynolds @dude 

Hi any update for me ?

Thank you

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

@Marco Lachance 

I do not believe there is a way to disable this by default, but I will check and confirm 100% 

Do they have any concerns about this option being enabled by default? Generally, if restoring in place you would still need to manually select unconditional overwrite option as well to overwrite live data. So, I am not sure the benefit or need use case to disable.

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

@Scott Reynolds 

Thank you,

Yes, they have a concern, I don’t remember why ! But they would prefer having it disabled by default and enable it when required ! But if it can be done, I will just tell them, 

Thank you again 

Badge

Hello, I could not find the answer or instruction anywhere, so i have to try in this post - Is there a way to disable "Drop Connections to Database" option by default?

Thanks in advance