Question

MySQL standby instance(s)

• 13 March 2023
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi all

Have another DB related question.

Customer has 3 node MySQL clusters but it seems you can only select one instance for backups. 
They need to add all standby nodes to be usable for backups. Aside from clustering the OS’s, is there another way this can be achieved?

Thanks all.

3 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @Mauro 

Is this a OS level customer ?

If yes which clustering software is used ?

does MySQL database resides on the virtual node of the cluster ?

If its a OS level cluster then configure the cluster pseudo client by following the docs https://documentation.commvault.com/2022e/expert/4990_configuring_cluster_group_clients_for_non_veritas_clusters_unix.html 

After configuring the cluster client, configure the MySQL instance on the cluster client.

In case if this is not a OS cluster then please provide more details on the MySQL configuration.

Regards,

Gowri Shankar

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Good day Gowri

Thanks so much for the response.

To answer your questions.

This isn’t an OS level customer and no clustering software is used.
The MySQL DB resides on the virtual node of the cluster.

The customer uses MySQL DB configs to setup replication between the Master and Slave Nodes.

Something else I’ve picked up. When I try to run a backup, I have selected the Slave node to run the backup in the client configuration, but the job reverts back to the Master node. Why would that be the case?

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @Mauro 

One of the possibility would be if the communication between Master to slave or from Slave to Master has any issue.

Please check the MySQLifind.log, MySQLBackupParent & MySQLBackupChild.log for any errors.

Regards,

Gowri shankar