Solved

NAS Share IntelliSnap Backup and Backup Copy with vscan on NetApp

• 11 February 2022
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

Hi,

We have a NAS Share Backup (NetApp) configured to use IntelliSnap to create the initial snapshot and afterwards, run a backup copy to copy the data to disk.

We were assuming that Commvault would backup the data from the .snapshot folder on the original volume. As the customer is using a virus scanner (vscan) on their NetApp shares, we created shares on the original volumes specifically for Commvault/backup where we would disable vscan.

However, we found out Commvault isn’t backing up from the snapshot folder under the original volume, but instead is creating a volume clone from the snapshot. On this clone, Commvault also creates a share. And you guessed it, vscan is by default enabled.

This causes all kind of problems. Slow throughput because all files need to be scanned, occassional hickups from the virus scanner where it’s quarantining files, …

Is there a way for Commvault to use the snapshot folder under the original folder, instead of creating a clone? Maybe with an additional setting?

Or can we edit the API call Commvault is making so we can ensure vscanning is disabled on the share it’s creating ?

Any ideas are welcome.

icon

Best answer by Govinda 12 February 2022, 00:59

View original

If you have a question or comment, please create a topic

5 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

At present we don’t have an option to directly use .snapshot folder under the original volume for   FS under NAS (CIFS,NFS)  with NetApp engine. Is it possible to turnoff vscan on the CIFS share starting with “ SP_” or for the volume ending with “ _CVclone” for particular time ( when there is a backup copy schedule )  to avoid the slowness ? 

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

Thanks for your input Govinda. I’m afraid we’ll have to do some scripting to get this to work then. They’re using TrendMicro, I’m not sure how easy that will be.

As it’s Commvault creating the temporary share, it would be helpful if we could, for example, tick a checkbox in Commvault where we decide if we want virus scanning or not, and depended on that answer adjust the API call Commvault is making. But I’m not sure how feasible that would be.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@Jeremy , if you open a support case, the engineer can explore options and (most likely) create a CMR for you.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Hi Jeremy, I totally understood. So far we didn’t get this requirement form the field. We will internally discuss about this and check the feasibility of CCR/CMR.As Mike suggested, please open support case, so that we will review further.

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

Thanks all for your feedback. I’ll discuss this internally and if required, create a Support Case.