Question

NDMP Isilon Forever Incremental Backups

• 26 January 2023
  • 2 replies

Badge +1

Hello,

We have an archive cluster(A300 PowerScale) being backed up via NDMP and full backups take quite some time to transfer which is expected due to the file count and size. We backup to disk and tape aux copy via 3-way NDMP. Synthetic full backups are not supported on NDMP, if we did a full every 7th day as we normally do for all our other backup clients(synth. full), this would make the backups fall behind. Dell states that “Forever Incremental” backups are integrated when backing up to Commvault. I am not too familiar with forever incremental configurations in terms of retention.

What would be the retention required to be able to perform a full restore? I would assume we would need to keep the initial full backup forever..

https://infohub.delltechnologies.com/l/dell-powerscale-backup-using-commvault-1/incremental-forever-level-10-backups-2

2 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Good Morning.  Synthetic Full backups are not supported for NDMP backups.  I would recommend that you switch to CIF/NFS backups.  This also makes restores much more efficient.  Switching to CIF will allow you to run the Synth Full without worrying about all of the other concerns.

Badge +1

Good morning, Yes, that was my fall back option if NDMP work as expected. We were just trying to avoid to have media agents in that datacenter where the Isilon is located and on paper, NDMP IntelliSnap & Fast Incrementals are said to provide better performance. I will test with traditional CIFS Shares backup to see what performance we get.