Need to add new MP for load balancing

• 24 March 2021
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

I made the resume of the Forecast of the client and need to add new MA for load balance and i related SP information and can you help me to identify in which SP i need to add new MP or add in all SP making load balance, what do you think?

** and i use Round Robin in the SP.

And i need to create a new DDB for the new MA to load balance.

Storage Polices:

Example:

• CommServeDR
  • SP_LX_BD_FS\Primary

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hey @Fernando Souza !  I’m only seeing a screenshot from your CS DR copy (which is small).

I’m assuming you need to add a mount path to your main Storage Policy.

This document shows how to create a library and mount path:

https://documentation.commvault.com/11.23/expert/9299_disk_libraries_getting_started.html

Check out this link for setting up spare mount paths you can migrate in as needed:

https://documentation.commvault.com/11.23/expert/9312_spare_mount_path_provisioning_and_migration.html

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Hi @Fernando Souza 

For CommserveDR storage policy, Deduplication is disabled.

If you’re in a DR scenario and needing to restore this data as the Commserve has been lost, deduplication and DDB interaction would make restore very problematic, so CommserveDR storage policy is not deduplicated.

You can still add further mount paths across multiple MAs, as I can see you have already done for CommserveDR policy.

For other deduplicated storage policies, it should be a similar task with DDB consideration.

Deduplication Building Block Guide - Datapaths explains how multiple data paths can be used.

If you are load balancing datapaths between MAs, either for load or resiliency, I suggest you also consider multiple DDB partitions for the same reasons:
Configuring Additional Partitions for a Deduplication Database

Thanks,

Stuart

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

Hello @Mike Struening 
Sorry for taking too long to answer, i was in a client.

and i talked to a co-worker who did the implementation of this Commvault and he indicated to just add the MA to do load balance, not to create new DDBs (Just partition the DDB) and mount path, because it´s not necessary.

Then i´m just going to add spare mount path and DDB with Round Robin.
(the DDB don´t need new space).

If one MA fails, i will have another one to replace.

and generate Forecast before and after MA addition and pass to the cliente the new report.

And what do you think @Stuart Painter ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Hi @Fernando Souza 

If you are simply adding a new MA for load balancing and to spread the load, Data Retention Forecast and Compliance Report will show you where you have data within retention and ready for pruning.

Disk Library Utilization Report may also help show which libraries are most used and might benefit from load balance.

Thanks,

Stuart