Solved

Need to reclaim some space

• 6 January 2022
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

Hi,

Need guidance on how do we properly reclaim some space from the successful backup jobs? Is there a way to delete manually the backup jobs? if there is, when I deleted the backup jobs do the capacity I free up from the deleted backup job will immediately reflected from the Storage Pool?

icon

Best answer by Stuart Painter 6 January 2022, 09:01

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Hi @r0lansaad 

I wouldn’t recommend deleting backup jobs for a couple of reasons.

1. You will reduce your ability to recover that data or limit the points in time that recovery can be performed back to.
  2. With deduplication, what looks like a large backup job may in fact free up very little space in storage. Since unique blocks are referenced by other backup jobs, unless the data is unique, it won’t be removed from storage as other jobs may also be referencing the unique data.

If your storage is filling up, there are a few things to look for:

Is Data Aging and pruning configured and running as expected - sometimes pruning may get disabled to perform a particular task or temporarily reduce load on MAs and not get re-enabled. This could be on MAs or on a client group using additional settings.

Is retention configured correctly - are you keeping the right amount of data for your business needs?

Has client Application Data grown recently, maybe a gradual increase over a long time or a sudden growth spike has grown the data protected and pushed storage beyond it’s capacity. Growth and Trends report may help here.

Take a look at Library properties Disk Usage tab. This will show proportionally what amount of data is getting pruned over the last few days vs the amount of new data getting written. This will give an indication of whether new storage demand is greater than storage supply, provided by pruning.

For example:

You will want to see space freed keeping pace with space consumed, if the reverse happens with consumed ahead of freed, then the library will be on a trajectory to full.

Try those general principles and let me know if these reveal anything to check further.

Thanks,

Stuart

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Here’s a blog I wrote that covers how to find out why jobs are not pruning (it’s focused on tapes, but the concepts are the same).

Give this a read and let me know if the report shows anything odd:

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

Hi @Stuart Painter,

Appreciate your detailed and very informative inputs.

Actually we have 2 Databases that consume a lot of space quickly. Almost every day the backup size reported terabytes of data. The most biggest backup size happen was 20TB last Jan 1.

All you have mentioned has been checked and retention has been adjusted as well but still we are struggling on the capacity.

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

@Mike Struening 

Good article and added to my knowledge as a new working to Commvault Solutions.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Happy to help!!